Steve Hackett - At the Edge of Time (2019)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steve Hackett - At the Edge of Time (2019)

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Steve Hackett - At the Edge of Time (2019)

Didn't really like anything that came out this year other than Misery Index's "Rituals of Power" and this. This one was actually a bit of a grower. It's not terribly consistent, and some of the orchestral parts would have sounded better as early King Crimson Mellotron type textures, but it has some great tracks. Great lead player too.

I actually originally thought the mix on this sounded like shit, but listening to it on a 5.1 system it sounds pretty good. Didn't suit my main speakers or headphones, but it sounds great in 5.1 from an opt. out.

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Hackett has been a favorite of mine for some time. His departure from Genesis took a lot out of them, even if they put out a few good albums after he left.

His albums over the last decade have sounded a bit same-ish, but he's almost the last one of the classic '70s prog guys still putting out quality new music. We shall not discuss the most recent Yes studio album, Genesis and Rush are retired, 2/3 of ELP have gone to the great gig in the sky, and Fripp seems content touring a golden oldies setlist (albeit with a stellar band).

ME: Fender Telecasters
    MA: Emerald X20 Artisan
    MB: STR LS-648
    Rig: Mk IVa / Hartke HyDrive 2

I need to give this a listen, I'm a big fan of Steve
    "Oh, those jazz guys are just making that stuff up!" - Homer J. Simpson

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: ESP MI Custom
    MB: Fender Jazz custom
    Rig: Kemper

Sounds good, going to check the whole album. I've recently started exploring the Genesis back catalogue after Rick Beato's 'What makes this song great' about Dancing on a Volcano, found out it was written in a basement of the street where i lived when I first moved to London.

ME: Fender Telecasters
    MA: Emerald X20 Artisan
    MB: STR LS-648
    Rig: Mk IVa / Hartke HyDrive 2

Quote Originally Posted by Lozek View Post
    Sounds good, going to check the whole album. I've recently started exploring the Genesis back catalogue after Rick Beato's 'What makes this song great' about Dancing on a Volcano, found out it was written in a basement of the street where i lived when I first moved to London.
    Get "Seconds Out", I may be in the minority but I think a lot of the older stuff sounded great with Phil on vocals. And Seconds is an amazing live album anyway.

ME: ESP MI Custom
    MB: Fender Jazz custom
    Rig: Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
    Get "Seconds Out", I may be in the minority but I think a lot of the older stuff sounded great with Phil on vocals. And Seconds is an amazing live album anyway.
    Will add it to the list, 'Trick of the Tail' and 'Wind and Wuthering' have been my favourites so far, my inner Death Metal fan is about to murder me but Phil Collins has a fantastic voice. Better order my slippers and pipe.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Quote Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
    I'll just come out and say it. Collins was a better singer than Gabriel. This was particularly true before Phil became a solo star and started doing the vocal equivalent of "mugging for the camera" on every single song. The Gabriel albums are quirkier and more intricate compositionally, but losing his 'personality' allowed the remaining four guys to shine more musically, in my opinion.

Seconds Out is great, but the mix is unfortunate. Hackett left during the mixing of it. Banks and Rutherford have denied it, but it really sounds like they decided to mix him out as a 'fuck you' move.

Quote Originally Posted by Lozek View Post
    Will add it to the list, 'Trick of the Tail' and 'Wind and Wuthering' have been my favourites so far, my inner Death Metal fan is about to murder me but Phil Collins has a fantastic voice. Better order my slippers and pipe.
    Also check out this official concert video from the Trick of the Tail tour. It's not a complete show, but that was a fantastic tour--Bill Bruford was the tour drummer so that Phil could get out and sing. They played drums in tandem on "Cinema Show" on that tour, and the live version on Seconds Out is from that tour (most of the rest is from the Wind & Wuthering tour and features Chester Thompson on drums).

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

^ That right there is some brilliant shit.