Jose Mangin and Rich Ward discuss 90's metal - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jose Mangin and Rich Ward discuss 90's metal

ME: ESP MI Custom
    MB: Fender Jazz custom
    Rig: Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by schreckmusic View Post
    "metal outfit"[/video]
    When you're the VP of Brand Management at Affliction, you've got to dress for the Bro you want to be, not the bro you are.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Bowes Nightbringer 7

Carcass upended everything with Heartwork bringing all that melody into the brutality.

When Korn blew up, it was really noticeable across the board when i was in high school. Shredders started becoming old hat, kids weren't learning the shred stuff, lower tunings....That being said, Korn definitely changed the whole landscape with bringing 7's out of the shred realm and into the more mainstream hands.

ME: Ibanez S970CW
    Rig: 6505+ Head and Cab

Jose Mangin is more irritating than when your bag sticks to your leg. Fuck that guy
    "I'm really not going to change to something else just because SSD4 fucks with my ass right now."

- Rocka_Rollas

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    When Korn blew up, it was really noticeable across the board when i was in high school. Shredders started becoming old hat, kids weren't learning the shred stuff, lower tunings....That being said, Korn definitely changed the whole landscape with bringing 7's out of the shred realm and into the more mainstream hands.
    I've NEVER cared for Korn, but the one thing I'll say for them is after they blew up, there were a lot more good seven strings on the market.

Of course, there were also a lot more people telling me "oh, a seven string? Why not tune a six strong lower? Those things are shitty for anything but metal anyway." So, it was a trade-off.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Suhr Modern
    MB: EBMM Stingray 5
    Rig: Axe-Fx 3 / Kemper / 5150

I'm not a big Korn fan but they were undeniably unique and influential as hell for a long time. Nobody sounded like them, and that's still the case today - not an easy thing to do in an industry full of clones.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I'm not a big Korn fan but they were undeniably unique and influential as hell for a long time. Nobody sounded like them, and that's still the case today - not an easy thing to do in an industry full of clones.
    "Nobody sounded like them" is just the soundbyte friendly "throw this in the preface of the booklet for their career spanning boxset attributed to someone influential" way of saying, "Before Korn, no one was stupid enough to replace the section of a song where a guitar solo would normally go with a white man with dreadlocks frantically beatboxing".

You know the old adage, "If you can't think of anything nice to say, don't say anything at all..... or say 'at the time, no one sounded like them'."

I hate it when you get one of those retrospectives and it's just the standard crew of VH1 guest appearance people saying shit like that. I fucking love Black Sabbath, but even the book that came with the Black Box set is fucking terrible like that. You have all the standard guys saying that shit. Rob Zombie, Nikki Sixx, Kat Von D, Scott Ian, etc. etc. etc.

And it's clear that Rob Zombie has never actually listened to a full Black Sabbath album, some publicist just spoon fed him the standard "people will want this for a retrospective" quote.

"When I put this on for the first time I thought, 'nobody sounded like these guys'." is the most boilerplate shit ever.

Unless if you are talking about Jackyl introducing to the chainsaw solo to the world of music of course, then it's justified.

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Quote Originally Posted by schreckmusic View Post
    Seeing him in person with his really high spiked mohawk and "metal outfit" is somewhat amusing. Its comical in a Bobcat Police Academy way. IMHO trying too hard
    Jose Manchin is just low testosterone Mr. Shred

Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: Bowes Nightbringer 7

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I've NEVER cared for Korn, but the one thing I'll say for them is after they blew up, there were a lot more good seven strings on the market.

Of course, there were also a lot more people telling me "oh, a seven string? Why not tune a six strong lower? Those things are shitty for anything but metal anyway." So, it was a trade-off.
    I heard that one a lot. I just pointed out that having 1 guitar on stage to do tuning in B, drop A, E and drop D made things easier. Also Morbid Angel.