Post Songs/Artists/Albums it took you a long time to "get" - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Post Songs/Artists/Albums it took you a long time to "get"

ME: Jackson SLXT
    Rig: Randall RG80

Watchtower's Control And Resistance. To this day, this album always reminds me of Canadian Hunter shots chased with Sprite - and Rush's Presto album. I really couldn't stand the Watchtower album for the first few months it was played on repeat in my old friend Kyle's apartment, but one day I just couldn't get the damn thing out of my head. We must've listened to that album several times a night when it first came out and then down to once a night soon as Rush's Presto came out...that would have been the last few months of 1989 and beginning of 1990, seems just like yesterday though.

Speaking of that old apartment, this was taken around that time:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by watson503; 08-31-2019 at 01:53 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by MFB View Post
    Despite being on here since, like 2011, I still have no clue if people actually like Firesoul or not. I listened to it once or twice and each time it was just a big ol' can of yikes.
    Firesoul isn't even the best song on 11 Dreams.

I like Mercenary, I mean, it's melodramatic Scandinavian metal from a certain time period. It's not as timeless as Iron Maiden or anything, but it's fun.

The title track of Everblack (the album before 11 Dreams) is also better than Firesoul.

Melodeath didn't age as gracefully as some other genres, that's for sure though. Not a knock on 11 Dreams. I don't want to listen to Whoracle or Colony around the clock either.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    Despite being a Yes fanatic, it took me many years before I fully appreciated Tales from Topographic Oceans, especially Side Two:

Queensryche's Rage for Order took me a long time to even bother getting, because this was the first bit I heard from it:

Now, I love this song, but at the time I was like "This doesn't sound anything like 'Queen of the Reich', therefore it sucks".
    Yes is, in general, somewhat difficult to get into.

TfTO is actually way easier to get into as an introductory Yes offering than "The Yes Album". That was the first one I bought.

Second one I got was 90125, which is certainly.....peppy. I mean, love the album for what it is, but it's saccharine as fuck.

As far as prog goes, most people find Rush pretty easy to get into, but the first Rush album I bought was Fly By Night, which in retrospect was not a great starting point. They weren't quite the "Rush" people think of as Rush at that point.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by watson503 View Post
    Watchtower's Control And Resistance. To this day, this album always reminds me of Canadian Hunter shots chased with Sprite - and Rush's Presto album. I really couldn't stand the Watchtower album for the first few months it was played on repeat in my old friend Kyle's apartment, but one day I just couldn't get the damn thing out of my head. We must've listened to that album several times a night when it first came out and then it down to once a night soon as Rush's Presto came out...that would have been the last few months of 1989 and beginning of 1990, seems just like yesterday though.

Speaking of that old apartment, this was taken around that time:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Yeah, Watchtower and Voivod were two big ones I expected people to put out there. I actually didn't have that hard a time getting into Watchtower.

Had a harder time getting into prog-metal bands like Psychotic Waltz.

i won't say any album or artist specifically but complete genres. those being brutal/slam death metal and black metal. and i 'm not going to say that i'm completley sold on them yet. but i can listen to quite a few slam style of brutal death bands and icelandic variety of black metal because it has some very light closeness to death metal. outside of metal , noise and electronic stuff especially the more avant garde experimental stuff. like opn or elysia crampton that sort of stuff and the japanese bands like zazen boys.

i guess i'll mention atleast one band that took me a long time to get into and the this type of proggy death stuff in general, but now i quite enjoy stuff like this.

oh and definitely this and stuff like this in general.
    Last edited by 220BX; 08-31-2019 at 06:48 PM.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    TfTO is actually way easier to get into as an introductory Yes offering than "The Yes Album".
    You may be literally the only person who has ever said that.

Part of problem with TFTO is the murky original mix, which was done in a hurry to meet the label's deadline. I know he's not your favorite person, but Steven Wilson did an amazing job remixing this into what it should have been from day one. His mix sits more comfortably with the other classic-era Yes albums.

My relationship to The Yes Album and Close to the Edge is kind of odd because I owned the live Yessongs album before either of them. As such, the live versions of those songs are what I think of first--much looser and heavier than the studio versions.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Tom Waits. WEIRD stuff, but once it clicks it rules.

I think it was his ballads that finally won me over:

"They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

Virgin Steele!!!

I have heard a song every now and then for many years but NOW I decided to sit down and really listen.

HOLY SHIT!!!! WHAT HAVE I MISSED

I know the mid-90s to early 2000s albums are considered masterpieces, and the little I've heard confirms it.

The riffs are fucking outstanding and while I didn't like Defeis vocals at first, I really love them now. Gotta hunt down a few CDs