Post Songs/Artists/Albums it took you a long time to "get" - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Post Songs/Artists/Albums it took you a long time to "get"

ME: Fender Telecasters
    MA: Emerald X20 Artisan
    MB: STR LS-648
    Rig: Mk IVa / Hartke HyDrive 2

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    You may be literally the only person who has ever said that.

Part of problem with TFTO is the murky original mix, which was done in a hurry to meet the label's deadline. I know he's not your favorite person, but Steven Wilson did an amazing job remixing this into what it should have been from day one. His mix sits more comfortably with the other classic-era Yes albums.

My relationship to The Yes Album and Close to the Edge is kind of odd because I owned the live Yessongs album before either of them. As such, the live versions of those songs are what I think of first--much looser and heavier than the studio versions.
    Close to the Edge is a top 2 album for me, just a mind blowing experience that literally changed what I thought music could be. Tales though, that's some deep stuff I listen to the first disk far more often than the 2nd.
    "Oh, those jazz guys are just making that stuff up!" - Homer J. Simpson

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Took me a long time to "get" Purple Haze by Jimi Hendrix, where he says "'s'cuse me while I kiss this guy" when meanwhile he was a known womanizer.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: Blackmachine
    Rig: Helix/Matrix/Zilla

I never got into Hacktivist at all, which I suppose made me a shitty friend, since I was friends with their bassist and sound guy. One of my buddies recently joined and they got a new singer, the new stuff is killer, and I actually then kinda 'got' their old stuff.

Same with Northlane. Hated everything until their latest album, but decided to check their latest album and its great. Very Sybreed meets Mick Gordon. So I suppose I'll be going back to check out their old stuff.

https://youtu.be/oRCTVtnodvg

https://youtu.be/l1VPDzWH_dM

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez RGs
    MA: Cordoba Custom Flamenco
    MB: Ibanez SRs
    Rig: 5153 / Kemper

For me, it was The Eagles.

I was indifferent to the band for the longest time. Perhaps my first introduction was in eighth grade where my classmates did horrid covers of Tequila Sunrise and Hotel California (and DIDN'T harmonise the outro), so that was rather unfair. Never listened much to them for years until recently. I did a country rock session and thought going on an Eagles binge was good research in preparation. The first few albums were good and had a few gems but still didn't draw me in. It wasn't until One Of These Nights was when everything clicked. Perhaps it was bringing in Don Felder and really leaning hard into the rock side of the band that appealed to me. Then adding Joe Walsh and doing the next 2 albums I was fully hooked.

Personal favorites:

ME: ESP/LTD DV8-R
    Rig: Kemper

Blind Guardian's A Night at the Opera. I had just gotten into Blind Guardian (and through them, power metal as a whole), and I picked up Nightfall in Middle-Earth, At the Edge of Time, and A Night at the Opera all around the same time. This album is very hard to get into. Several songs reveal themselves immediately (Precious Jerusalem, Battlefield, Sadly Sings Destiny) but all the rest take a while to show their worth. It's partially the complex, unconventional structures Blind Guardian had been getting into, but also the sheer amount of instruments layered. Lead guitars on vocals on strings on synths, all packed in there tight. I'm not joking when I say that I had to listen to And Then There Was Silence close to 10 times just to take in everything that was happening, let alone like it.

I gotta be real, if it wasn't Blind Guardian, one of my favorite bands, I wouldn't have even tried this hard. But I love these guys and I wanted desperately to like it like I did Nightfall or Imaginations From the Other Side, so I kept hacking at it. It's actually really incredible, but by God is it hard to grasp.

C'mon son.

Hellevate

ME: PRS CE22
    MA: Richard Cogger Classical
    MB: Fender Bulletbass
    Rig: Mesa Mark V/TA30

I got into music mostly thru punk rock and grunge. As a kid I wasn't super interested into what my parents listened to or what I generally heard on the radio. I wasn't interested in anything that wasn't aggressive and really didn't get into the musical side of it besides the energy until I started playing. The type of music I liked when I started to play was kind of too easy to learn and even write, so I eventually transitioned into a metal guy. From there I got into classical and from there I started to like pretty much any music I find interesting regardless of genre or intensity. I think maybe the perfect example is Starless by King Crimson. I would've loved that middle section as a kid and probably disliked the rest of the song.

Now a days listening to heavy music is definitely the exception rather than the rule. I listen to more ambient/space music than anything else just because I particularly love the Echoes radio program that's conveniently scheduled when I generally get off work.

ME: ESP MI Custom
    MB: Fender Jazz custom
    Rig: Kemper

Gojira. Saw them when we played at Bloodstock 2010, thought they were absolutely amazing but couldn't get into any of their albums despite desperately wanting to. They released L'Enfant Sauvage and then it all fell into place, now one of my favourite bands. They've really scaled their stagecraft up after going out with Metallica too, they know have a show worthy of their sounds.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Lozek View Post
    Gojira. Saw them when we played at Bloodstock 2010, thought they were absolutely amazing but couldn't get into any of their albums despite desperately wanting to. They released L'Enfant Sauvage and then it all fell into place, now one of my favourite bands. They've really scaled their stagecraft up after going out with Metallica too, they know have a show worthy of their sounds.

I got into them when "The Way of All Flesh" came out. That was right as I was expanding beyond more traditional metal into "extreme" genres, so it was a case of things aligning.

I actually like the newer stuff better than the older stuff these days.

Best drummer in modern metal. By a fucking longshot. L'Enfant Sauvage at least, the ones after that aren't quite as good. Best album they have done. The L'Enfant Sauvage live album is great too.