Post Songs/Artists/Albums it took you a long time to "get" - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Post Songs/Artists/Albums it took you a long time to "get"

ME: Ibanez JEM7V
    MA: Enema Bag W/Piezo's

Tool would be the band, but metal would be the genre.

My best friend was a huge Tool fan in high school and begged me to go see them back in 96' then again a year or so later and I refused, saying all their songs were just "whispering verses and screaming choruses". WAAF was playing Tool nonstop and I just hated them. My head was so far up Steve Vai's ass that I simply didn't give a shit about songwriting or anything outside of guitar technique. It wasn't until Lateralus came out and the same buddy said, "You're going to listen to this song and if you're not a fan after this, you hate music.". Begrudgingly, I complied. During our weekend ritual of sitting in his truck in my buddy's driveway getting baked, he put "Lateralus" on....by the time it came to the end section ("With my feet upon the ground..." that KILLER polyrhythm with the bass whammy part) we were car-moshing and I've been hooked ever since. But for a good 5-6 years, I hated Tool.

And metal in general took me a long time to get into. I grew up on Floyd, started playing guitar at 11 and only listened to Gilmour and Eric Johnson. I got into AIC shortly after and that was probably the catalyst, then Dream Theater some years later. Screaming vocals, though, took me so long to get into and it wasn't until I walked into my old drummer's bedroom and saw Watch It Go 3 playing on his VCR that I instantly became a fan of all things metal. My personality changed, I wanted to act like Dimebag all the time.....but all I did was drink like him for 15 years after.
    "It's ONE WHOLE MILLIMETER"

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Bowes Nightbringer 7

Gotta be Nevermore for me. Warrells vocals killed it for me until i just ...liked them?

ME: Bowes Nightbringer 7

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post

Best drummer in modern metal. By a fucking longshot..
    I haven't seen anyone in the last few years even come close to touching Ken Bedine live. It's not human.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Axe-Fx II / 5150

I didn't like Porcupine Tree until I gave them a chance. I still think Wilson is a needlessly pretentious douchebag but I fucking love his music.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

While we're at it, Billy Ray Cyrus's Achy Breaky Heart. It's been like 25 years and I STILL haven't managed to get it.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Axe-Fx II / 5150

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    While we're at it, Billy Ray Cyrus's Achy Breaky Heart. It's been like 25 years and I STILL haven't managed to get it.
    Literally the opposite of what this thread is about. How many beers did you have at lunch?

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    You would probably get it if Tom Waits covered it.

Although he would add like, a 12 minute interlude in the middle that is just him banging on pots and pans while reciting a stream of consciousness spoken word piece about the life of a 19th century circus contortionist followed by an atonal solo on an incredibly rusty civil war era cavalry bugle.