Post Songs/Artists/Albums it took you a long time to "get"
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Post Songs/Artists/Albums it took you a long time to "get"

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Post Songs/Artists/Albums it took you a long time to "get"

Was listening to this today. This song specifically (as well as a lot of their 70s output after the debut, which I think is very accessible and enjoyable on first listen). I was actually into prog very early on, earlier than I was into metal, but it took me forever to be able to enjoy 4:35-7:55. Granted "enjoy" isn't the right word, since I think it's meant to be jarring, but it took me a long time to get to the point where I was able to listen to the song all the way through. How that bit resolves and melds with earlier elements later in the song is quite brilliant, but it definitely took me a long time to concede that.

Another one I remember. The first time I checked out Enslaved was because they were supporting Opeth on a North American tour. I was like, "that probably means they're good". I remember going and checking them out on Youtube and playing this song and being like, "this is the worst thing I have ever heard". Huge fan now of course, one of the best modern bands IMO, but it definitely took a while to click.

Honorable mention. I'm not sure it took me a long time to "get" ELO, because my mom is a huge fan and I remember listening to them when I was very young. Getting to the stage where you are confident enough to admit to other metalheads that you "get" ELO. Now that's another matter entirely. They are known for pushing the envelope in a lot of ways by people who actually know their shit. But the amount of people who just write them off because of the cheesy pop parts and the helium harmonies are missing a lot of the advanced stuff that had never been done before arrangement wise. The fact that most people refuse to include ELO with other envelope pushing prog bands is stupid.

Besides, one of ELO's drummers went on to briefly drum for Black Sabbath. So get fucked if you don't think they have metal cred.

Bands I am still waiting to "get" but am open to the idea: Sadistik Exekution, Manilla Road

Bands I will never get: Tom Waits, anything involving Neil Young, Prince, KISS,etc.

And since I know someone is going to be like, "Prince was a genius", I will pre-emptively say, he very well might have been. But his songs still sucked. His lyrics are fucking creepy and/or stupid. He was a pretenious douche and a conceited Diva who was infatuated with his own reflection. And if I am in the mood to hear someone with a royal title sing in falsetto, I will listen to King Diamond. For someone who never speaks in anything other than an effeminate whisper and uses numbers in place of letters to talk 2 U that guy takes himself way too seriously. I don't get Tom Waits, but at least he's not an insufferable twat like Prince.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr, Warmoth, rg550
    Rig: Mark V:25 & Mark II

Inter Arma took me a month or two to really get when Paradise Gallows came out. The music is dense, and I knew there was something there but I couldn't put my finger on what it was. And boy is there something there.

Manilla Road is awesome. I saw them live a few years back, and it was a great show. Definitely keep at it with them.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Also, Cult of Luna. I have to admit I still don't really enjoy their other albums besides Mariner. I saw them do this one start to finish with Julie Christmas. It is one of my favorite albums ever now. Julie's vocals against their post metal stuff they do is just fantastic.

ME: Les Paul
    MB: Precision
    Rig: Sunn

Quote Originally Posted by beneharris View Post
    Inter Arma took me a month or two to really get when Paradise Gallows came out. The music is dense, and I knew there was something there but I couldn't put my finger on what it was. And boy is there something there.

I've been meaning to listen to this for ages... I guess once I get bored of the new Tool album I'll give it a spin. On that note, '10,000 Days' took me years to get into and now it's one of my favourite Tool albums.

Also, when I was younger and all about Death Metal, I could not for the life of me fathom why anyone would listen to that shitty Black Metal stuff, all sounded like a bee in a can to me. But Emperor's 'Prometheus' was my gateway into it, so I guess Black Metal as a whole took me a while to get into.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. S View Post
    once I get bored of the new Tool album I'll give it a spin.

Soo like five minutes in?

With that said Paradise Gallows is fantastic.

ME: Epi G400 LP Custom
    MB: EDB600/605

Despite being on here since, like 2011, I still have no clue if people actually like Firesoul or not. I listened to it once or twice and each time it was just a big ol' can of yikes.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Despite being a Yes fanatic, it took me many years before I fully appreciated Tales from Topographic Oceans, especially Side Two:

Queensryche's Rage for Order took me a long time to even bother getting, because this was the first bit I heard from it:

Now, I love this song, but at the time I was like "This doesn't sound anything like 'Queen of the Reich', therefore it sucks".