Big Wreck ....but for the sun - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Wreck ....but for the sun

ME: Ibanez JEM7V
    MA: Enema Bag W/Piezo's

Quote Originally Posted by mrspacecat View Post
    Why haven't I heard these guys before?! Great song, too bad the mastering is awful.
    You can dig back into their previous albums for PLENTY of outstanding material, there aren't many duds in this band and the newest album is the worst of all regarding the master. They're all pretty hot, but the new one is over the top bad.
    "It's ONE WHOLE MILLIMETER"

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Axe-Fx II / 5150

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Drucifer View Post
    You can dig back into their previous albums for PLENTY of outstanding material, there aren't many duds in this band and the newest album is the worst of all regarding the master. They're all pretty hot, but the new one is over the top bad.
    This is another one of the greatest driving songs that you can't actually listen to in your car.

I played it in my Jeep today, which actually has pretty killer stock speakers and there was practically no difference between that and my fiancee's car. There's no depth in the mix because it's all so smashed...it's such a bummer because there's some really breathable moments where the song opens up and there's no change in the dynamic, everything is just fighting.

All of this.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

I'd pay good money for remasters of all the Thornley/Big Wreck material with a master that doesn't feel like being pummeled in the side of the head with a baseball bat.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez JEM7V
    MA: Enema Bag W/Piezo's

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I'd pay good money for remasters of all the Thornley/Big Wreck material with a master that doesn't feel like being pummeled in the side of the head with a baseball bat.
    Fuck yeah.

I'm in a Big Wreck FB group where those of us who have an issue with the master are being told to shut up and that it shouldn't have any effect on our enjoyment of the record, or we're elitist/entitled/too picky. Trust me, I WISH I could just ignore it. With "Voices", it's not that I don't love loud ass guitars, I just like whole songs more than loud ass guitars. I just can't believe as great of a musician Thornley is, this problem exists on every album he's done. The past few are nothing compared to this one, to the point that if someone told me it was a mistake, I wouldn't be surprised.

It's on HDTracks, I believe, but I don't know enough about how they go about sourcing their tracks. I assume they just clean up what they can as I don't think it's likely they have access to pre-mastered mixes.

ME: Authentic Les Paul
    MA: Les Paul
    MB: Les Paul
    Rig: Mini Rec

It's on HDTracks, I believe, but I don't know enough about how they go about sourcing their tracks. I assume they just clean up what they can as I don't think it's likely they have access to pre-mastered mixes.
    I think the most involved thing they do on the sourcing side is when they want to release an SACD as PCM files - they use a mastering studio to rip the SACD and perform file format conversion.

HDTracks doesn't do any mastering or editing work of any kind on a typical album. They are provided high bitrate files directly from the music label and simply post them for sale. Unfortunately this often means that Red Book standard files are lazily upsampled to 24/96 (etc) by the label, resulting in no audible performance increase. I would wager that the most value from HDTracks comes in reissue material, where proper high-res masters can (and today, often are) created in the process.

To sum up, I would expect the HDTracks Big Wreck files to sound quite nearly identical to the CD release, especially since the dynamic range is so limited to begin with. DR for their last three releases was 6-7 dB on average, which is very limited and typical of Top 40 pop. That's on the order of what St. Anger and Death Magnetic were mastered like. Yuck.