Big Wreck ....but for the sun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Wreck ....but for the sun

ME: Ibanez JEM7V
    MA: Enema Bag W/Piezo's

Big Wreck ....but for the sun

Got to check it out a bit today. It's a bit more rockin' than the last couple albums, but holy shit is it ever brickwalled. I know Chris mentioned something previously about all of BW/Thornley stuff being brickwalled and maybe this is a sign that Ian Thornley is going fucking deaf at an exceeding rate.

The mix sounds like it could be really great and I'll have a better idea once I listen on decent speakers as I only heard it in my fiancee's car and I hate her speakers, but as I'm listening now on my laptop, it's still just slammed to hell and back.

Really diggin' the tunes, some outstanding guitar playing on it and killer vocals as always. it's just hard to get past this level of limiter abuse.
    "It's ONE WHOLE MILLIMETER"

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: PRS
    Rig: JCM800

I heard what I think is the first single on the radio yesterday (because Canada, and they're relatively local ) and even then I could tell it was still smashed.

Which means it's worth catching their live show .

A local band is their direct support for the album tour, it should be pretty sweet!

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Axe-Fx II / 5150

I don't get how it's possible that someone as talented as Thornley can consistently have such horrendous production quality on his records.

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: PRS
    Rig: JCM800

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I don't get how it's possible that someone as talented as Thornley can consistently have such horrendous production quality on his records.
    Maybe sticking with the same producer? It's my only guess.

ME: Ibanez JEM7V
    MA: Enema Bag W/Piezo's

I would think Ian has final say and the mastering engineer would have been going off Ian's direction and maybe he's just stuck in the last 20 years of brickwall thinking. It's crazy to me though that the guy is obviously big on tones and the production quality is always stellar on the albums, but the mastering is always fucking dreadful.

I played it in my Jeep today, which actually has pretty killer stock speakers and there was practically no difference between that and my fiancee's car. There's no depth in the mix because it's all so smashed...it's such a bummer because there's some really breathable moments where the song opens up and there's no change in the dynamic, everything is just fighting.

This is the first song on the record....huge fucking guitars which sounds awesome, but holy shit are they stepping all over the vocals and the I dunno if they overdid the white noise trick on the snare or of it's just smashed that hard. You can barely pick out the guitar layers once they start stacking up....it's just a mess.....the snare rolls are just brutal. "Locomotive" right after this one sounds like there's a distortion pedal on the snare/hi-hats...such a shame.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Great song. Definitely a shame about the mastering.

ME: Schecter Blackjack

Why haven't I heard these guys before?! Great song, too bad the mastering is awful.

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Axe-Fx II / 5150

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    Great song. Definitely a shame about the mastering.
    Right? It's freakin unlistenable.