So, Crooks and I...

....along with 1200 of our closest friends, go to witness this on Saturday:

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Epi G400 LP Custom
    MB: EDB600/605

Man, I caught the Worcester show, fucking outrageous set to see live, and having never known who Jake was, that dude is gonna be just fine in the metal scene; he's like if you put the 80s in to one package. Schaffer's hand is still on fire after all these years, and I have no clue how he can sling a Les Paul that far down and not deal with back/wrist issues.

My only "complaint" is they didn't do Dorian, as it was the only song from the Crimson King album they didn't do

ME: ESP Ltd EC401 FR w/J
    Rig: Bugera 333XL

Quote Originally Posted by MFB View Post
    Schaffer's hand is still on fire after all these years, and I have no clue how he can sling a Les Paul that far down and not deal with back/wrist issues.
    I think hes had 2 back surgeries actually.

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: ESP MI Custom
    MB: Fender Jazz custom
    Rig: Kemper

How was the sound? A buddy of mine is their FOH/TM and does the best live sound I've ever heard.

ME: 02 NAMM Jackson RR
    MA: Takamine 12
    MB: Spector Euro 5
    Rig: SLO|Road King|Überschall

Performance was good, I really enjoyed hearing Hansi song some IE classics.

As for sound, it was fine, which is saying something because it’s not a particularly good sounding room.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

My enthusiasm for supporting anything Jon Schaffer related over the years has waned.

I mean, great player, great records, but it's kind of hard to listen to a guitarist who lists Ron Paul as an influence and appears on Infowars.

I still wear Iced Earth shirts and I've seen them live like, a bunch of times, but the Tea Party centric side projects and the Ayn Rand concept albums are a bit much to take.

Not to mention I don't see how anyone aware of Jon Schaffers existence could give Zakk Wylde shit for dressing up like a biker.

He's like an edgy libertarian teen trapped in a 50 year old mans body. The last good record he did was Dystopia. Iced Earth's transition from "thrashier than normal USPM" to "they look more like Sons of Anarchy extras every photoshoot" is kind of sad. Dystopia was also a comeback after a long ass period of mediocrity.

The Confederate flags and the Oathkeepers patches are kind of offputting. Organizations like Oathkeepers are like, the biggest fucking posers ever. It's just a bunch of fat "veterans" inflating their personal history to imply they saw active duty taking National Parks buildings hostage.

Like, you had a fucking desk job in the Coast Guard dude. That leather vest isn't enough to make me think you are a badass. How are you supposed to protect me from the ever tightening grip of communism when you can't even handle your type 2 diabetes?

Also, he calls everyone "brother" like Hulk Hogan. If you go read any interview with him it'll be full of lines like, "I"LL TELL YOU WHAT BROTHER, I THINK OBAMACARE IS THE GREATEST MISCARRIAGE OF JUSTICE IN THE HISTORY OF THIS NATION, AND MY ANGER TOWARDS IT HAS REALLY FUELED THE LAST COUPLE RECORDS."

I kind of turned my back on them after they started selling, "Stop being a pussy" shirts at the Iced Earth merch booth.

Like, I don't think you are the one to enforce who is a pussy or not Jon Schaffer. That eagle has already cried. Even if I could ignore all the eagle tears, you have a record with a fucking long ass cheesy duet on it about the Phantom of the Opera. It's not exactly the pinnacle of tough guy cred.

ME: Epi G400 LP Custom
    MB: EDB600/605

I hung up my Iced Earth hat after anything that wasn't The Glorious Burden, but Demons & Wizards second albums is nothing but the goods; and they both came out so close to each other, it's been over a decade since I've cared about a new release from either (only one of which has actually released anything anyways). They got my money many moons ago, and anything tours they do supporting that time frame I'm all aboard for, but new shit?