4 day Headbangers Roadtrip

Thread: 4 day Headbangers Roadtrip

ME: Ibanez RGIB6
    MA: Alvarez P.O.S.
    MB: Warwick
    Rig: Kemper

4 day Headbangers Roadtrip

My son got tickets for Slipknot's Roadshow, only catch is that it was in Dallas last Saturday, lol! So I burned a couple vacation days and headed to Oklahoma City(5 hour drive) to meet up with my son there and on Sat. we headed to Dallas(another 3 hours, lol!) 101 degrees at an outdoor show, stayed away from alcohol and stuck with water. Even in the heat, all 4 bands brought it hard, Behemoth, Gojira, Volbeat, and Slipknot, it was amazing to say the least. If you've never gone to the Dos Equis Pavilion for a show, do it! One of the best I've ever been to. Respect to Volbeat and Gojira, during Gojira's set a fan went down in the pit and they stopped till they knew the fan was safe, took all of about 3 -5 minutes for security/medic to handle it. During Volbeat's set what appeared to be possibly a fight broke out in the pit, they stopped made sure everything was good and took off again, same thing, maybe 3-5 minutes. Top tier performances by all, even in that heat. We spent the night in Dallas and drove back to Oklahoma City, got a couple hours recovery in and off to Jinjer, The Browning, Sumo Cyco, Titan Metal, and a couple other local bands at the Diamond Ballroom in OKC. Very cool venue, looked to be an old roller skating rink converted into a live music venue.

This is where the bitching begins, lol! All 6 bands brought their A-game and hammered it, even if some of it wasn't really my thing. Unfortunately, F.O.H. fucked every band except Jinjer(not house sound, I asked) The promoter hired their own sound crew and for whatever reason, whatever douchbaggery, fucked every other band on the bill. I don't expect younger unkowns to get the same sound treatment, but to fuck them like they did last night was uncalled for. Excessive feedback was probably the worst as it could've been dealt with easily since they only let the first 3 bands have vocals only through the PA. In 30 years of going to live shows, 10 of it playing live shows, and having been on both sides I've never seen it to this extent. Maybe I'm just a grouchy old fuck, but these bands bust their asses to get a chance to be on a stage and the fans spend their money for it, they all deserve better than that.

Respect to the bands, they brought it anyway.

Sorry for rant, lol! It was still an amazing weekend of metal and time spent with my son now back to the grind tomorrow

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Schecter Blackjack
    Rig: ENGL Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by Bohmer View Post

This is where the bitching begins, lol! All 6 bands brought their A-game and hammered it, even if some of it wasn't really my thing. Unfortunately, F.O.H. fucked every band except Jinjer(not house sound, I asked) The promoter hired their own sound crew and for whatever reason, whatever douchbaggery, fucked every other band on the bill. I don't expect younger unkowns to get the same sound treatment, but to fuck them like they did last night was uncalled for. Excessive feedback was probably the worst as it could've been dealt with easily since they only let the first 3 bands have vocals only through the PA. In 30 years of going to live shows, 10 of it playing live shows, and having been on both sides I've never seen it to this extent. Maybe I'm just a grouchy old fuck, but these bands bust their asses to get a chance to be on a stage and the fans spend their money for it, they all deserve better than that.

I think we are lucky here in Finland, most of the venue soundguys are doing their best, thought sometimes time is really the limiting factor. I have always been in these unknown bands, but never i have felt that guys at FOH were not trying their best. I mean it really keeps you going when you get people telling you "that sounded tight" or "Good shit" rather than "Sounds were muddy" "Guitars were buried".

Sounds like a good time anyway!!