If you like Somewhere In Time/Seventh Son

Thread: If you like Somewhere In Time/Seventh Son

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

If you like Somewhere In Time/Seventh Son

So every once in a while I go through my music collection and trim the fat, which usually amounts to getting rid of all the really bad Power Metal (not timeless shit like Helloween and Gamma Ray and Running Wild, the bad stuff) and the really cringe worthy Death and Black Metal.

And every time I get to this album I'm like, "Holy fuck this is so painfully cheesy". But if you cut out all the terrible euro power metal schlock there is actually a lot of really great SiT/SS style arrangements and melodies. Great melodic lead playing too.

Just putting that out there. There's a lot of cringe on it, but god damn, if they stripped away all the euro power metal conventions it's awesome. All of the Somewhere in Time/Seventh Son esque elements are well done.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Bassline = instant Steve Harris worship
    Argbadh - RHLC©

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Bassline = instant Steve Harris worship
    The whole album is like, 50% extremely well done Iron Maiden worship, and 50% terrible generic modern euro power metal.

I can't get rid of it because the Iron Maiden elements are actually incredibly well done, moreso than any other bands I've heard. A lot of the songs have parts that are like, "This almost feels like listening to Seven Son or Somewhere in Time", but holy shit do you have to sit through some terrible shit to get to them.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Here's one where I suggest just skipping straight to the 3 minute mark. Nothing before that is good. Including the Grieg homage, which was OK when Savatage did it, but is really quite unnecessary.