Just got done reading Rex Brown's book. Brace yourself... - Page 11
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Just got done reading Rex Brown's book. Brace yourself...

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    If I knew Satch had a bio, I forgot. Any good? His would seem likely to be relatively drama-free.
    Very much so. It's not a gripping read, but he did a good job of talking about his early days in music and the background on all his albums to that point. The later parts aren't as interesting, as a result.

I don't recall him writing anything bad about anybody, though it's been a couple years since I read it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez RGs
    MA: Cordoba Custom Flamenco
    MB: Ibanez SRs
    Rig: 5153 / Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    Very much so. It's not a gripping read, but he did a good job of talking about his early days in music and the background on all his albums to that point. The later parts aren't as interesting, as a result.

I don't recall him writing anything bad about anybody, though it's been a couple years since I read it.
    Yeah, it's less a personal biography, more of a bio/analysis of all his albums. Goes to vivid detail on recording, gear usage and working with musicians/producers and almost very little about his non musical personal life.

He doesn't talk bad about anybody. I think only 2 moments that were remotely negative was when he wasn't getting results with hiring Doug Wimbish and Simon Phillips during the Extremist sessions, and how Glyn Johns mentioning that Satch enjoyed the sessions but never asked to work with him again.

Funny how the book, much like his career, got less interesting from Strange Beautiful Music onward...

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

The standard by which all trash talking biographies are judged

Argbadh - RHLC©

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Lozek View Post
    When I last went to Namm, I drove down/up to Phoenix via the Grand Canyon and had my mind blown by the change ability of the landscape and climate in such short distances. Met my ex-guitarist as he was living there and he introduced me to his drummer at the time.

Forward a few years and his drummer's new band are blowing up, they've just come to Europe for the first time and I'm absolutely loving watching him get his mind blown via Instagram. He's posting from tiny little villages in The Netherlands, stunning scenery and bierhouse culture of Southern Germany and they're now skirting the edge of Eastern Europe which is a whole other trip.
    I love everything about this post. I really do think seeing more of the world makes people more open minded, more tolerant, more accepting, and less fearful of otherness.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody_Inferno View Post
    Yeah, it's less a personal biography, more of a bio/analysis of all his albums. Goes to vivid detail on recording, gear usage and working with musicians/producers and almost very little about his non musical personal life.

He doesn't talk bad about anybody. I think only 2 moments that were remotely negative was when he wasn't getting results with hiring Doug Wimbish and Simon Phillips during the Extremist sessions, and how Glyn Johns mentioning that Satch enjoyed the sessions but never asked to work with him again.

Funny how the book, much like his career, got less interesting from Strange Beautiful Music onward...
    I'll grab a copy then as I'll probably enjoy that quite a lot. And yeah, Satch seems like a genuinely nice dude, from every interview I've seen and from the one time I've met him. I can't imagine him badmouthing someone in print.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Gibson V
    MA: Eastman
    Rig: Mesa Roadster

I heard that Rex's nickname in the band was 'Freeride' or something like that.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I'll grab a copy then as I'll probably enjoy that quite a lot. And yeah, Satch seems like a genuinely nice dude, from every interview I've seen and from the one time I've met him. I can't imagine him badmouthing someone in print.
    I gained even more respect for him, since he gave a vivid description of the difficult years just before he recorded Not of This Earth. He was just a guy giving guitar lessons at an East Bay music store and in a local band that was failing to get momentum. He really owes his career to Vai, since Steve was already a minor celebrity and convinced Relativity Records to listen to Joe's album (which he'd financed on a credit card).

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Yeah, I know some of that story - The Squares never really catching off, his bandmates thinking he was crazy when he came back with an instrumental demo, and then Vai going up to bat for him after the Zappa/Alcatraz/DLR breakthrough and saying, "hey, if you think I'm good, you really should hear this guy I used to get guitar lessons from," and the like. I definitely don't know it in all the gory detail though. To Amazon!

All I know is, thank God for internet message boards where we can rummage through other people's personal lives and judge them based on our own ill-informed interpretations of events that we have little to no knowledge of (because we weren't there and don't personally know anyone involved), but we go ahead anyway and base our negative opinions of them on almost total speculation.

If I was Rex and I was going to write a book it would have one page and it would say "Fuck you all, I was in Pantera."