Just got done reading Rex Brown's book. Brace yourself... - Page 3
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Just got done reading Rex Brown's book. Brace yourself...

ME: Ibanez RG 550
    MB: Sandberg Ken Taylor 5
    Rig: Diezel Herbert

First off: Vinnie Paul untalented?

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    Oh, and since Dime always compared themselves to Van Halen (two brothers start a band that has a huge impact), it's funny to see that Pantera is the polar opposite: it's the two brothers who are NOT the douchebags.
    What?! Who (apart from EVH) thinks Mike Anthony is a douche? Unless we're talking about him spoiling performances through excessive JD consumption, especially when he was meant to double on keys...

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    When you said "brace yourself" I was preparing for another video of Rich Ward talking to someone for four hours.
    I really enjoyed that, actually, despite only ever having listened to Stuck Mojo at friends' places and rocknights.

(But I listen to an awful lot of long-form podcast-type interviews these days. Tone-Talk is not too much for me.)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    Sounds like a must read though.
    Certainly. I'll add it to my list of bios to read.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Charvel So Cal
    Rig: Triple Rec

It's worth the read just to see just how delusional one person can get.

Whatever your thoughts about Phil Anselmo, he objectively comes off better than this guy. I mean his temperament and demeanour. He's obviously gone through the bullshit and has finally grown up. He actually makes a great interviewee these days. The bravado and macho bullshit has all gone away, and I feel that if/when he writes an autobiography he wouldn't need to embellish it with all this compelete horseshit.

Another aspect of Rex I left out is how much he bashes Dime and Vinnie's dad. Rex lived on the Abbott's couch in his late teens, knew the family really well, and was pretty much taken in by the Abbott family because his family was pretty much dead. His dad died young and his mum was sick.

There's very little thanks for that, if any. There's a very slight nod to the Abbott mum, acknowledging she was like a mum to him. But the dad... Just like Vinnie, he only mentions him when it's to put him down. Claims he enjoyed living off his sons' money (no shit?) and didn't like Rex because he was "learning too much" about the music industry (lol)

Cunt.
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

ME: ESP MI Custom
    MB: Fender Jazz custom
    Rig: Kemper

I met Rex a few years back at Namm. He walked into a very crowded bar, saw me looking at him and walk directly up to me to shake my hand, then walked away again. It was a bit surreal but seems like it might ring true to what you've got from the book.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Charvel So Cal
    Rig: Triple Rec

Quote Originally Posted by Lozek View Post
    I met Rex a few years back at Namm. He walked into a very crowded bar, saw me looking at him and walk directly up to me to shake my hand, then walked away again. It was a bit surreal but seems like it might ring true to what you've got from the book.
    holy shit. "Oh awesome someone's recognised me, finally!"

ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk V + Axe FX II

Yeah i read this book when it came out and it was entertaining to a point but my summary of it would be exactly the same as Matt's.

Once he has said the same thing about a million times where he always ends up seeming like the only guy in the band that knew what he was doing you start to wonder if he is trying to convince the reader or himself. There are a few entertaining stories from him like Dime showing up at his door asking for cash not realising he is probably a millionaire at that stage but being too daft to just go to the bank. But stories like that, by the end of the book, are sullied by the fact that you just dont really believe much of what he is saying after about 30 pages.

I will say that as a Pantera fan it was cool to get some back story on the least well known guy in the band as he does talk for a while about his childhood and getting into music etc.

Another example of these guys being good at music but not very smart.

ME: Bowes Nightbringer 7

Dime was one of the nicest and funniest celebs who clearly didn't take himself seriously. I met him (with a bunch of other people) when they played here in....94? Dime just walked outside to chat with people, signed everything put in front of him and just talked about awesome metal bands that he had seen. Rex seems like the Kerry King of Pantera. King was one of the biggest dickbags I have ever met whereas Hanneman seemed like the guy next door who just finished mowing his lawn.

Rex is just pissed that his contribution to Pantera's legacy looks insignificant alongside the Abbotts.

ME: Gibson LPC
    MA: Taylor 214ce
    MB: '87 Spector NS2
    Rig: Mesa WD800/B'faced F10

I'm sure after you finished reading the book, you really wanted to go out and buy one of his basses too, right? Well, he has his own Reverb shop, where you can buy one of Rex's Spectors that was only used on shit after 2010 for a cool $10k. He has to be delusional.

https://reverb.com/item/26120832-spe...own-of-pantera
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -- Benjamin Franklin

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    Oh, and since Dime always compared themselves to Van Halen (two brothers start a band that has a huge impact), it's funny to see that Pantera is the polar opposite: it's the two brothers who are NOT the douchebags.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    What?! Who (apart from EVH) thinks Mike Anthony is a douche? Unless we're talking about him spoiling performances through excessive JD consumption, especially when he was meant to double on keys...
    You missed my point. In Pantera, it was the singer and bassist who are the douchebags, while the Abbot brothers were chill. In Van Halen, the singer and the bassist are the cool ones, while the VH brothers are the douchebags.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.