Just got done reading Rex Brown's book. Brace yourself... - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Just got done reading Rex Brown's book. Brace yourself...

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    Lester Polfus was awesome and I’m not gonna quit playing his guitars because <insert rockstar> was <insert atrocity>. That’s like not owning a car because Hitler did.
    Well, I dunno. You *do* have a serious like of Volkswagens...

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    I know you're not deliberately trying to insult my intelligence. But one thing Americans do, I noticed, is treat the rest of the world like we all have the same worldly experiences as Americans.

What I mean by that is, in my experience, if you guys so much as travel outside of your own fucking county you're like "omg this culture is so weird, did you even understand what that guy said!?"

I think we get your culture (or at least have had much longer exposure to it?) than you have ours, and therefore "get" it better/quicker. A Brit travels much better in the States than a Yank does over here (where they mostly look confused, dehydrated, and usually hungry)

Essentially I'm just trying to say that I know what a Texan is like. We had Yosemite Sam and Stone Cold Steve Austin over here too, ya know?

Acerbic, racist, unnecessarily geographically proud, "straight shootin'" (opinionated), socially obtuse, brash, a little dim, shoot their pistols into the sky when work is over shouting "YeeeeeHAWW!!!" etc etc...

(Also my brother-in-law is from Houston)

We have that culture here too. They're called Scottish.

Rex's horseshit in this book can't be pinned on his Texan idiosyncracies. He's just a douche

Not that I don't appreciate what you're trying to say. I just don't think the cultural difference was lost on me as much as you think. He's just a dick, even by Texan standards.

I also get what you're getting at with his opinion of the Abbotts. A fanatical fan would feel a little sore after reading that, because of the pedestal they would have put them on. But as I said, I'm not a fanatical fan, and I'm also a big boy now, and don't quite have that "Saint Dime" attitude the more sychophantic types possess.

Perhaps you're right about the actual context of his attitude though... This is an autobiography after all, and if there was ever a time that someone was going to self indulge...

Having said that, although I haven't read a great deal of autobiographies (a handful) I don't recall them being used as a platform to self-aggrandise. The ones I've read have been much more objective, and besides all this... Rex's is just a terrible autobiography

Didn't you think it was just straight up poorly written? At times I had to just take a second to let my mind stew in the stupidity. I don't expect an autobiography of a metal musician to read like Hemingway, but I felt like slapping myself around the face sometimes at the cringe-inducing slack-jawed yocal hee-haw by-gum jimmeny.... Yeah ok it's a Texas thing. Fucks sake.
    I'm not vouching for Rex, but from your review I expected like, notable levels of achievement in outstanding cunt-ery. He's more of a regular douchebag.

For reference, the dude from Malevolent Creation once fabricated a story about stopping a robbery at a convenience store with a firearm he was carrying and getting a lifetime's supply of chocolate milk as a reward.

Rex has nothing on the Florida Death Metal guys.

I actually think I probably had your reaction like, 5-6 rock musician auto-biographies ago. I don't remember which one, the Mustaine one probably, I was like, really off-put by his asshole-ness and taking credit for everything and shit, but if you read more, they are all like that. I maintain my point that you have to be an asshole on some level to do an auto-biography or a memoir. It's a fair response to read an auto-biography and be like, "this person legitimately thinks the universe revolves around them, all they do is talk about themselves". But that's essentially what an auto-biography is, a book of someone talking about themselves.

I agree the Rex one was full of self-aggrandizing, but like I said, Texas. Their defining trait is being self-aggrandizing.

In terms of poorly written, I've read enough of these that I would rather the person writes it in their own style, however poor that might be, than try to come across as more intelligent than they are by leaning on a ghostwriter. Rex's obviously had a ghostwriter, but I felt like it was in line with his level of intelligence. Guys like Motley Crue have the Ghost Writer do fucking everything. The guy who wrote The Dirt is the same dude who invented Pick Up artist culture.

I've certainly read musician biographies that are more self-aggrandizing though. I'll tell you that. Rex's was like "this dude is a miserable person", but there is way, way worse out there.

I highly recommend watching the documentary "Beware of Mr. Baker", which is about Ginger Baker, if you think Rex is full of himself. That is non stop hilarity front to back. And includes the immortal line (in his assessment of John Bonham), "John Bonham was alright technically, but he couldn't swing a sack of shit". Rex's shit talking was extremely mild compared to anything you will see from Ginger Baker. Pretty much everyone agrees he is one of the most miserable cunts of all time, including his own children. Rex said nice things about plenty of people, Ginger Baker doesn't say anything nice about anyone that's not Ginger Baker.

Seriously, not kidding about the fact that I can't recommend watching that enough. Hilarious film. He actually breaks the film makers nose by hitting him in the face with his cane towards the end.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

In terms of metal artists from roughly the same era, Max and Gloria Cavalera have Rex beat by a long shot. Rex's might have been delusional by regular person standard's, but by musician standards it's far from the worst I've read. Anything that comes from the Max and Gloria Cavalera camp is batshit insanity. Rex can't even compare in terms of conceit. That's the same sort of situation of a band who's most well known lineup hates each other and the guitarist and drummer are brothers and all that.

Growing Up Green : IT'S 9/11 AND A TERRORIST JUST CALLED...

In terms of like, general music, there are a lot of guys from '70s funk and R&B that make Rex look like the most down to earth person ever.

Anything out of Quincy Jones mouth makes Rex look like the most pleasant person ever. In terms of disparaging legendary musicians and taking credit for everything and fabricating shit wholesale Rex has nothing on Quincy Jones. The amount of people he can make angry if you give him like, three paragraphs to give a rough summary of his life is staggering. He is a legend too. That's the funny bit. He is actually like, a top tier legend, and he still can't not manage to put everyone else done and inflate his own image.

https://www.vulture.com/2018/02/quin...&utm_medium=s1

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

In line with Garrett's thesis, Tony Iommi seemed apologetic in his autobiography for actually having one, like he knew the whole idea was silly.

Unfortunately, it meant that the book suffered. I'm sure he could have told all sorts of amazing stories--unlike Ozzy, he can remember what happened!

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    In line with Garrett's thesis, Tony Iommi seemed apologetic in his autobiography for actually having one, like he knew the whole idea was silly.

Unfortunately, it meant that the book suffered. I'm sure he could have told all sorts of amazing stories--unlike Ozzy, he can remember what happened!
    I read Ozzy's, it was obviously heavily ghost written. Haven't read Iommi's yet.

In terms of delusional assholes, I feel like Rex Brown is kind of an underachiever.

This is a fucking great, hilarious, mind blowing read for anyone who hasn't read it.

https://newrepublic.com/article/1211...what-he-seemed

I feel like Matt may have had the good fortune of only coming into contact and listening to artists who are sane, decent people, because I really didn't think Rex Brown was that notable when measured against the musician metric of "grandstanding delusional assholes".

The head of my college music program claimed that she foresaw the housing market crash of 2008 in 1999 and tried to warn the government but they wouldn't listen to her, she also claimed that her first album had the greatest hit single of all time but there were shadowy forces in the music industry conspiring against her that prevented it from reaching its deserved status.

The "hit single that would tear up the billboard charts like nothing before" in question consisted of a synthesized oboe and noises of a door slamming. That was it. Seriously. She played it for us in class. This was supposed to be a reputable program, but mostly she just spent her lectures grandstanding about her own genius. It was like, an 8 minute avant garde piece where one of the instruments was a door being slammed at irregular intervals. She claimed that when the music industry didn't grant her stardom for this genius composition, she saw it for the sham it was. She also claimed that the music industry was afraid of her because of her insight into their tricks.

When you say "delusional" I at least expect a story on par with Sly and the Family Stone keeping a drug crazed vicious attack baboon they illegally acquired as a pet during the '70s.

On the "delusional asshole" scale, Rex Brown's book is rated like, 1 out of 5 Steven Seagals.

ME: Charvel So Cal
    Rig: Triple Rec

Point taken. I mean Mustaine's... I haven't read it, but if I did and it wasn't full of utter horseshit I'd want my money back

I think this wouldn't have hit me so hard if I hadn't left it so long and watched so many interviews and read so much about it. I had my confirmation bias switch engaged because I'd heard so much about how this was terrible and how he's burned so many bridges by writing it.

For example, do you realise he's back-tracked on a lot of the stuff in there? He claims he "didn't want that stuff in there but they put it in there anyway". To me that just smacks of someone going "the world needs to hear what I've got to say goddam it! I've been quiet for far too long, time to show everyone what a badass I am!... No wait guys don't go! Don't leave! I was just... er... goofin' around! It's all just a joke haha see?! I'M STILL COOL!!!"
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.