Borknagar - True North - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Borknagar - True North

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Squidbeard View Post
    am i crazy here? didn't borknagar used to be black metal?
    Yeah, they used to be way grimmer. They are in the same category as Enslaved (or even Bathory for that matter) and stuff like that, that for some reason people still consider them "Progressive Black Metal" even though their later stuff moved pretty far from straight "black metal".

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

am i crazy here? didn't borknagar used to be black metal?
    You are crazy. They're my favorite style of black metal: "progressive black metal."

ME: KxK customs
    Rig: Verellen Amps

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    Yeah, they used to be way grimmer. They are in the same category as Enslaved (or even Bathory for that matter) and stuff like that, that for some reason people still consider them "Progressive Black Metal" even though their later stuff moved pretty far from straight "black metal".

ok, thats what i thought. they haven't been on my radar for a long long time. just start a new band. that shit is so different.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

This one is a bit heavier:

"How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

ok, thats what i thought. they haven't been on my radar for a long long time. just start a new band. that shit is so different.
    Scandinavian Black (and even Death Metal) don't believe in starting new bands for drastic sound changes. You'd have a hard time finding a single scandinavian metal band that sounds remotely close to their first albums from the 90s. The amount of bands who have a first album or two that is a completely different style than their later stuff is way too many to list. Ulver, Therion, Amorphis, Sentenced, Enslaved, Beherit, etc. etc. etc.

ME: Jackson SL2Q MAH
    MA: Yamaha FG700S
    Rig: EVH 5150 III 50W

I just discovered this band, and this song and It's been on near constant rotation for the last 5 days. Not sure what it is but this song just does it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    This one is a bit heavier:

Yeah, they are all sick cuts. "Up North" is the best song I've heard released this year though, tied with Misery Index's "New Salem".

I didn't know ICS Vortex could yodel. The quasi-yodeling parts on "Up North" are so ballsy. At first I was like, "Why would anybody do do that kind of vocal phrasing? Sounds cool though.". But the parts like 25 seconds where is doing the weird ass combination of yodeling and Michael Jackson's hiccup technique are so good.

Freshest shit I've heard in a long time. Even if the music itself wasn't the freshest stuff, which definitely isn't the case, the vocal stuff he is doing at like 25 and 37 seconds is so fun and unique. Such a sick vocalist.