"Oh, those jazz guys are just making that stuff up!" - Homer J. Simpson

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

"Ginger Baker" would make a pretty awesome death metal band name.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

I read his "Hellraiser" auto-biography last night. Certainly an interesting dude. Old as fuck though, he grew up during WWII with London being bombed, so it's hard for someone like me born in the 1990s to read that and judge him, because society was a totally different thing back then. He was only a few years younger than my grandparents.

There are also a lot of people coming out and saying, "Yeah, he was the all time greatest shit talker and could be a huge cunt in interviews and said some brutal things about us, but when we were with him in person he was actually really nice".

I think Jack Bruce and him definitely enjoyed their rivalry more than they let on. His family issued a "they definitely had a love/hate" relationship thing shortly after his death. The story of Jack Bruce calling him when he's dying just to get in the final "Fuck You" is also an all time great.

He calls Hawkwinds music "some of the worst shit ever" in his book, but I've read actual interviews with Hawkwind members who are just like, "Yeah, that's just what he's like, he was actually pretty pleasant for most of his tenure".

I think the general consensus is, "He was certainly a very miserable person, and could be one of the most miserable cunts ever at times, but he genuinely enjoyed being a miserable person."

He's not totally without redeeming features either, despite being a misanthropic curmudgeon. He loved animals, and he was incredibly progressive racially. For modern times even he would be considered incredibly progressive.

I still think he's one of the great characters. Miserable person, but he was never a caddy diva like a lot of rockstars from that era that put on a smiling face in public and said miserable things about people behind their back in a gossipy way, he was definitely always honest about how he felt.

He died at 80 after an incredibly unhealthy life of being a chainsmoker since adolescence, so statistically speaking, he was past the average life expectancy for any of us here.

I give him a lot of credit for not romanticizing his life or the mythology of that era like a lot of other rockers that were his contemporaries.

His protestations of "not being a rock or metal or heavy drummer" though are funny. He definitely had a great jazzy feel and was the greatest drummer from that era and could do stuff with syncopation his contemporaries couldn't. But his whole, "I didn't enjoy playing heavy" thing is just his Ginger Baker schtick of telling himself what he wants to hear.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    He calls Hawkwinds music "some of the worst shit ever" in his book
    Going by the YT link you posted earlier in this thread, he's not wrong.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    Going by the YT link you posted earlier in this thread, he's not wrong.
    Clearly you are not a Hawkwind fan Dave. That's the entire appeal of Hawkwind. Like 70% of the stuff Hawkwind has ever released is unlistenabley bad. Hawkwind is the kind of band that thinks the ideal person to hire to play Saxophone is someone who has never touched a Saxophone in their life. You don't get hired into Hawkwind by being good at an instrument. They just hire homeless junkies and randomly point at an instrument and are like "play this". That's how Lemmy started playing bass. Hawkwind doesn't believe in the idea of quality control. No one actually know the line-up of Hawkwind at any point in time, including the actual line up of Hawkwind. That's the magic though. No other band just randomly has Brian Blessed in their lineup.

I can't think of any band that has a higher percentage of outright terrible material. Although a lot of the more space rock/kraut rock leaning prog bands from the '70s come close. Magma comes close too.

Nonetheless, they have two brilliant studio albums (Hall of the Mountain Grill and Warrior at the Edge of Time) and a handful of other awesome tracks and some awesome, yet incredibly sloppy, live albums. Space Ritual is actually massively overrated.

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Amount of further consideration I’ll give Hawkwind: 0

ME: Explorer Custom

One of his lesser-known projects was drumming for the desert-rock jam band Masters of Reality.

https://youtu.be/dplUe3r_lXA

https://youtu.be/beyj3BE7RPY

He did vocals and drums for this track:

https://youtu.be/DTuXBoA688Y

Got a co-writing credit for this one:

https://youtu.be/dl5iMwQnfOU
    Last edited by d8200; 10-07-2019 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    Amount of further consideration I’ll give Hawkwind: 0
    Hawkwind isn't for everyone Dave.

Hawkwind fans are the kind of people who think Tom Bombadil was clearly the main character in Lord of the Rings. If you aren't the kind of person who read Lord of the Rings and put down the last book thinking, "You know what would have made this saga better? If they cut all the sections not featuring Tom Bombadil and replaced them with sections focusing on Tom Bombadil." Hawkwind may not be the right band for you.