R.I.P. Ginger Baker - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: R.I.P. Ginger Baker

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

If you're the kind of person who thinks that if a creature is mythical, that means you can't throw a benefit concert for it, or the kind of person who asks, "What exactly is an Electric Tepee? Did they just electrify the whole Tepee? Is it a Tepee with electricity? Is it a Tepee made out of Electricity? This album title makes no sense." that might preclude you from being a Hawkwind fan.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Not to be mistaken with Manowars "Electric Peepee"
    Argbadh - RHLC©

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Not to be mistaken with Manowars "Electric Peepee"
    I pretty sure there isn't an actual Manowar song titled that that isn't a b-side, but they do have a large number of songs that conceptually revolve around Thor, The God of Thunders, dick. Which is presumably electrified. 75% of their songs are about Thor riding across the sky in his chariot with his electrified dong looking down on trve brothers of metal making sure they are doing push ups and counting carbs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

No shit... Dude was a legend.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post

Hawkwind fans are the kind of people who think Tom Bombadil was clearly the main character in Lord of the Rings.
    No, that was Gong. Hawkwind was for the people who read Heavy Metal magazine as a news publication.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    No, that was Gong. Hawkwind was for the people who read Heavy Metal magazine as a news publication.
    You're going to have to specify which version of Gong you are referring to. Wikipedia's helpful "graphical display of how many versions of Gong there are" is the crowning jewel of their site.

I check that once every year just to see if I can suddenly interpret it correctly. The best part is someone made this and thought "This will help people understand the history of Gong". The arrows coming out of nowhere and pointing off into nowhere imply this isn't a standalone chart, there are actually more. I love how some people get arrows going to nowhere when they left, like, "They may have formed another version of Gong, we aren't sure yet".

My favorite part is the "Moerlen" arrow that is going backwards from all the other arrows, implying at least one person has traveled backwards in time to join an incarnation of Gong. The 1972 lineup of Gong isn't constrained by things like the typical flow of space time. I also have no clue why the 1968 version of Gong and the 1972 version get two different boxes, but I'm sure it makes sense to Gong fans.

At least Amon Duul only has two versions. Even if no one knows how to tell the difference.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    The best part is someone made this and thought "This will help people understand the history of Gong".
    Which, of course, is not humanly possible.

One of my favorite rock stories is Daevid Allen quitting Gong right before their 1975 Glastonbury set by claiming that an "invisible force" was preventing him from going onstage.

ME: Les Paul Standard
    MA: Yamaha 6er/Tacoma 12
    MB: Peavey
    Rig: Blackstar Stage 60

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post

"The greatest power one may possess -- in any situation -- is simply not to care what happens.

"In fact, it's the only power, all others being a semblance and mockery of it. But you must also not care about possessing the power itself. So fuck it."

Thomas Ligotti