R.I.P. Ginger Baker
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Ginger Baker

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

R.I.P. Ginger Baker

Saw the news that he was in the hospital a few days back so thought this was coming.

Godspeed you glorious bastard. Huge fan of his work in Cream and his brief stint in Hawkwind, as well as his complete lack of anything resembling modesty or basic societal decency and his reputation as one of the most unpleasant, eminently quotable, bastards to ever live.

He can say what he likes about not being a metal drummer, but his drumming on the Hawkwind live album "This is Hawkwind, Do Not Panic" is ridiculous. For 1984 that shit was way ahead of anything in "metal".

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...sicians-86521/

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

RIP

Ginger was an unapologetic rockstar to the core
    Spoiler
    Jesus dies at the end....

Quote Originally Posted by TheKindred View Post
    RIP

Ginger was an unapologetic rockstar to the core
    Yeah, total legend, he's said a lot of shit about his skill relative to John Bonham or Keith Moon that has rubbed people the wrong way, but even if it's immodest, he's right. Total monster on drums. He was one of the biggest cunts ever, but he was very upfront about it.

He was at the rare level of "massive cunt" where even all the obituaries running today in prominent rock magazines aren't whitewashing it or mentioning it towards the end. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...bulger-891804/

He can talk shit on metal all he wants. But he's in the running for most metal person to ever live. It's sort of bizarre that Keith Moon and John Bonham have more of a reputation for being wildmen, and then Ginger Baker denigrates them for being primitive wildmen when he is the biggest wild man in the history of music.

The best parts in his documentary are when he's talking about going to Africa in the '70s and he's just like, casually mentioning that he had to fight off insurgents with machine guns, like that's a totally regular thing to do. That documentary is awesome, it's like "Ginger Baker beating the shit out of drums, Ginger Baker beating the shit out of drums, Ginger Baker doing ungodly amounts of drugs.....hold on, was that footage of Ginger Baker having a machine gun battle with African Insurgents?"

As miserable of a person as he was, it's hard to argue with how badass he was, no other rock star just randomly decided to open a top of the line studio in Africa at that time and face the associated dangers. He's in a league of his own as far as "trve hardcore dudes" go.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Don't have the quote at hand, but he said the only reason he played aggressively in Cream was so he could hear himself over the amps. In other words, a foundational piece of heavy rock music exists because of bad stage monitoring. 😃

I also love the fact that he was the first choice to drum on the Black Sabbath album "13" but Tony Iommi put a kibosh on the idea because he knew there would be "problems".

https://www.wweek.com/portland/artic...ody-iommi.html

He was like 75-76 at the time too, and in terrible health from smoking 5-6 packs of cigarettes a day and everybody was still like, "Nah, we can't bring that dude in the studio, shit is going to get destroyed."

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    Don't have the quote at hand, but he said the only reason he played aggressively in Cream was so he could hear himself over the amps. In other words, a foundational piece of heavy rock music exists because of bad stage monitoring. ��
    That's one of his most well known quotes, but it's obvious it's largely just another one of those "Ginger Baker being a crochety old douche" moments.

Yeah, there is some truth in that I'm sure, but there is also plentiful evidence of Ginger Baker beating the shit out of drums on decades worth of recordings that kind of cast doubt on the whole, "He only did that because of technical issues" claim. There are certainly a lot of recordings where he doesn't exactly sound like he's playing that way because of strict necessity.

The best part of the Ginger Baker Hawkwind story is that immediately after he left Dave Brock switched to using drum machines and extremely stripped down, boring drum arrangements. It's not hard to figure out why. You can detect a certain resentment from the rest of the band in some of their live recordings. He certainly doesn't sound like he is playing like that "just to be heard" there. That Stonehenge recording is fucking epic.

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Axe-Fx II / 5150

Cream farewell concert, 1968:

ME: '87 Duesenberg
    Rig: MP-2 + TSR-24S + Vortex

R.I.P. Mr. Baker, you were one of my most listened-to drummers in my younger years (ain't 25 anymore).
    Yes, indeed, he is one to remember.
    Know Thy Self. Know Thy Law. Do What Thou Wilt