Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Eddie Van Halen having throat surgery for cancer

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  296 
#1 ·
Reactions: bigdave
#2 ·
The metal pick theory is bullshit and he knows it. The dude smoked cigarettes since he was 13 till what...2002? And he was ALWAYS smoking. I know the struggle as well as I am on my like...10th attempt to quit myself but even when I was smoking the last year or 2, it was maybe 3 cigarettes a day.

#4 ·
Didn't he return to smoking AFTER beating tongue cancer for fucking smoking? Yeah, it's hard to muster up much sympathy for him.

#5 ·
The whole "I'm going back to smoking because metal guitar picks did this" was the same kooky interview where he claimed he traveled overseas to cure it with crystal meth. :lol:

He gives a lot of kooky interviews. I love the first Van Halen record, I kind of like some of the later ones, but he's been disconnected from reality forever.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/...ie-van-halen-addiction-david-lee-roth-touring

I mean, the dude is an all time great, he's a fucking pioneer, there's almost no one in his league. But holy shit can he talk out of his ass for an entire interview. It would be more or less forgivable if he didn't also put down a bunch of other people and make up shit about himself.

I have no clue why he does it. I don't know why he feels the need to make up accomplishments when anybody else would be content with the accomplishment of "having done the awesome shit EVH actually did do".

This gem is my favorite.

That makes precisely zero sense. "Classically trained" literally means that you are trained to read music. That's literally the definition of it. Saying, "I'm uncommon because I'm a classically trained pianist who can't read music" is the same thing as saying, "I'm a dentist who has never touched people's teeth" or "I'm a painter who doesn't use paint". I mean, for all I know he could be a great guitarist. But making the claim that he's a "classically trained pianist who can't read music" is just bullshit insanity. The idea that there was an institution out there that he trained at long enough to be described as "classically trained" where no one was particularly concerned with his lack of ability to read music makes as much sense as me going into a seminary and being like, "I want to be a Priest, but I'm not even touching a bible".

Can't he just be happy with being EVH: Guitar God? Like dude, you are clearly not a classically trained pianist, the intro of Jump is the shittiest most annoying thing ever. "Autodidact who is also the world's greatest oboe player". No one who knows anything about piano would ever listen to EVH's utterly mediocre keyboard work that is seriously just P5 power chords and be like, "I bet this guy is one of those rare classically trained pianists who can't read music".

The best part of this is it showcases that Billboard has even less journalistic integrity than Fox (but not as little as Brietbart). They seriously just printed everything EVH told them and didn't fact check any of it.

I don't know why a dude who is legitimately an all time great has to engage in self mythologizing like that. And saying, "I'm a better singer than Michael Anthony, he naturally has a voice like a piccolo trumpet that makes him perfectly suited to provide cool back up vocals for VH but that is just some kind of genetic aberration, it doesn't mean he's a good singer". Come on dude, don't be a tool.

Also, I love the "I have listened to music since 1986" thing. Suuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. And then when he reveals he has, he also reveals he is egotistical enough to have set up extensive google alerts on his own name. :lol: Come on dude. You're EVH. Just be satisfied with being EVH on the merits of that. That entire interview is so full of bullshit self mythologizing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.