Pantera reunion babble with Zakk Wylde, Anselmo and Player1 - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Pantera reunion babble with Zakk Wylde, Anselmo and Player1

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Zakk's filled in for quite a few dead guys, actually. Here's some of audio of him paying tribute to "Saint Duane." He starts out pretty well but doesn't really go anywhere with it.

https://www.jambase.com/article/nigh...-brothers-band

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH

Quote Originally Posted by Rocka_Rollas View Post
    Should we bet money on the number of pinch harmonics Zakk will destroy the songs with?
    I think science has found it easier to estimate the size of the Universe.
    Vag Jackson, Man Of Action

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    In befor....

Fuck too slow this time to beat the copy past replies from literally every pantera thread ever

On topic, this is fucking hideous chat. Saint? Fuck off. Zakks spent too long around the 'metal brethren' the type of guys you see doing that horrendous viking long boat shit at festivals, he has actually become the guy they all thought he always has been...

In all seriousness, you don't have a Pantera reunion without the fucking Abbot brothers. That would be like doing Van Halen shows without Eddie and Alex. Well, except Vinnie was a great drummer.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Zakk might have spent the past twenty years coasting and talking increasingly like Hulk Hogan (Jon Schaffer also annoyingly does this, BRUTHA), but he's also pretty modest, and it's refreshing. No Rest For the Wicked is better than anything Randy Rhoads or Dimebag ever did. Incredible playing on that record. No More Tears was a little more sedate and less fiery and overall less interesting to me, even if the production is way better, but also in the legendary category.

Whatever Zakk is now, there were points in history where the dude was a hell of a player. Best guitarist Ozzy ever had in his solo band. No Rest for the Wicked is one of the freshest sounding 80s guitar centric records.

Yeah, he got sloppy and jaded with age and is now just having fun with it, like 95% of metal musicians his age. But No Rest For the Wicked had him bringing a lot of shit to the table other guys in metal couldn't, and still can't, do in terms of bends, compound bends, and vibrato.

I like Dimebag's playing quite a bit, and Randy Rhoads is OK, though I think he's pretty overrated, but neither of them could have turned in a performance like No Rest For the Wicked.

People are now like, "Hahahaha, this is a sloppy lowest common denominator pentatonic pinch harmonic dude." But there aren't a lot of players that have the technical ability to do compound bends and vibrato and shit like Zakk was doing in his prime. The idea that he's this idiotic, non technical, player is ridiculous. That'd only if you are one of the ignorant people who thinks "technical" just refers to shitty sounding MIDI esque sweeps.

For my money, at that point in the '80s, 86 or 87 or whatever, Zakk was the guy that showed a single guitarist metal band could still be viable.

ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    Pantera had one album's worth of good material and Phil was the least talented member.
    Phil out-Halforded the real Rob Halford effortlessly before he suddenly lost all range

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Rocka_Rollas View Post
    Forgot Phil did any of that after Power Metal. His high notes kinda remind me of Geoff Tate in that one.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    No Rest For the Wicked is better than anything Randy Rhoads or Dimebag ever did.
    WAT

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    WAT
    Seriously.