Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Pantera reunion babble with Zakk Wylde, Anselmo and Player1

ME: Fender Telecasters
    MA: Emerald X20 Artisan
    MB: STR LS-648
    Rig: Mk IVa / Hartke HyDrive 2

Pantera reunion babble with Zakk Wylde, Anselmo and Player1

https://963theblaze.com/zakk-wylde-o...OIBinrYDMsTFBY

""When Saint Vinnie [drummer Vinnie Paul] was still around, they were talking about it then," said Wylde of past discussions about a Pantera reunion prior to the passing of Vinnie Paul.
    "I mean, the way I always looked at it is it's a Pantera celebration and an honor," he continued, likening the situation to what he's doing in Ozzy Osbourne's band. "I mean, every night I'm playing with Ozz, we honor Saint Rhoads [guitarist Randy Rhoads]. I'm playing the Randy stuff every night, and I'm blessed and it's an honor to do it. Basically, we're paying tribute to Randy every night — keeping his music alive," added Wylde."
    "Oh, those jazz guys are just making that stuff up!" - Homer J. Simpson

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

"Saint Vinnie" and "Saint Rhoads"? Does being dead automatically make you a saint in Zakk's books? Both were probably decent enough guys (no idea to be honest - I guess I've never heard anything negative about Randy at least), but I doubt either thought of themselves as saints.

When it comes to the reunion-thing, the way he portrays it there sounds just fine to me - a tribute band basically.
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

ME: ESP MI Custom
    MB: Fender Jazz custom
    Rig: Kemper

If it's gonna be a tribute band, then Phil is already doing it so may as well just leave it as is. I agree, the whole 'Saint' and 'Father' thing that Zakk does is utterly annoying, in fact most things that he does are annoying (wearing a kilt, being 'funny', manufacturiung disgusting guitars), but I'm still a sucker for his guitar playing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    "Saint Vinnie" and "Saint Rhoads"? Does being dead automatically make you a saint in Zakk's books? Both were probably decent enough guys (no idea to be honest - I guess I've never heard anything negative about Randy at least), but I doubt either thought of themselves as saints.
    I don't think referring to someone as a "Saint" is necessarily a serious statement about their moral integrity, it's more a statement about how their place in history has been canonized.

Most of the actual "Saints" denoted as such by the Catholic Church weren't too big on moral integrity either. Along with some of the Popes, some of the Angels, etc. etc. etc. The entire Catholic Church isn't too big on moral integrity if you really want to split hairs.

I mean, you would think, " 'Saint' isn't just a title they hand out to anyone!" would be a true statement, but you would be wrong. The Catholic Church does actually hand out the title Saint to practically anyone. Occasionally they also do the same with the title of "Pope". It's actually a relatively new idea to the Catholic Church that you can't just buy titles like 'Saint' or 'Pope'. Randy Rhoads and Vinnie Paul could have been the most miserable sons of bitches ever and they still would have been more Saintly than half of the actual roster of Saints. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Catholic_saints

So whenever people say, "Don't you think it's a little hyperbolic to call this deceased person a Saint?" they are actually totally wrong, but not for the reasons you would think. The qualifications for Saint hood are incredibly low. Being a decent person isn't actually a requirement historically speaking. Fuck, being a real, non-fictional person isn't even a requirement to be venerated by the Catholic Church.

I mean, yeah, you could say, "Don't you think it's a little hyperbolic and obnoxious to refer to people who weren't necessarily admirable people with honorific titles like 'Saint' or 'Father'?"

And my answer to that would be, maybe, but that hasn't stopped the Catholic Church for doing it for 2000 years.

The worst part about that is that Catholicism is actually the most noble/reasonable branch of Christianity. If you want to get into like, Evangelical Saints or Mormon Saints, yeah, Vinnie Paul and Randy Rhoads are actually way over qualified.

ME: Ibanez S970CW
    Rig: 6505+ Head and Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Lozek View Post
    Zakk is utterly annoying.
    Took the fluff out for ya.
    "I'm really not going to change to something else just because SSD4 fucks with my ass right now."

- Rocka_Rollas

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH

Context we may not get is he was close friends with them so the reverence is more personal to him. That said, he could just jump on stage with Phils band and do that. From what Ive seen of Phils vocals on that material in the past few years it may be more respectfull to just move on, maybe do a few Pantera songs together on special occasion rather than try to milk that tit.
    Vag Jackson, Man Of Action

The Catholic Church could actually name a member of Pantera an actual Saint tomorrow and it still wouldn't even crack the top 100 list of "moments from Catholic History that were batshit insane/incredibly hypocritical/mind blowingly stupid".

This is the organization that put a corpse on trial, wasn't able to realize their plan was incredibly stupid after the first crusade failed, took multiple centuries to apologize for excommunicating Gallileo for suggesting the Earth was not flat, wasn't able to realize their plan was incredibly stupid after the second crusade also failed, and deemed a stupid childeren's book series about wizards that has an entire subplot about how there is this whacky species of sentient beings who love slavery and you are actually doing a dis-service to them by freeing them from slavery (not to mention the magical bank run by Jewish caricatures) "too progressive".

Zakk Wylde has done a lot of stupid shit, but implying Vinnie Paul is eligible for Saint Hood isn't on the list.

What are you going to say next? Testament is a terrible band who should be ashamed of themselves because their name misleads listeners into thinking they might contain utterly nonsensical stories about how an entire gender, literally 50% of humanity, is intrinsically guilty because of a whimsical story involving a piece of fruit?