Selena Gomez takes stand against Auto-Tune in deconstruction of Western Harmony - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Selena Gomez takes stand against Auto-Tune in deconstruction of Western Harmony

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    There is no way I could have picked Selena Gomez out of a lineup of other pop singers by ear. You could have told me that was Taylor Swift and I'd have believed you. They all sound exactly the same.
    I would have said the same thing before watching that performance.

Seriously, watch it, she has a very unique microtonal style.

For singers like Taylor Swift, I think it's generally accepted that even though it's heavily produced and they have all kinds of back up and safety nets and obscuring factors in ideal conditions they have at least a substantially better than average command of pitch.

If she didn't have funding roughly equivalent to the GDP of a small African Country behind her and wealth beyond the imagination of us peasants, I would have almost felt bad for her watching a performance like that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: ESP MI Custom
    MB: Fender Jazz custom
    Rig: Kemper

An acquaintance of mine who was the drummer in a UK metal band is now teching for Jessie J. Not sure how big she is in the US but she's a fairly household name here, I've got a lot of respect for her skills.

ME: Gibson SG
    Rig: Pedals -> Dark Terror

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Pop takes a shitload of talent to consistently produce. We make fun of the artists, because they are rarely the ones with said talent.

One thing is certain - the world owes Millie Vanillie an apology. Or at least the one dude still alive (I don't know if that's Millie, or Vanillie).
    I've been keeping up with SNL lately and the amount of lip syncing they do is nuts...

It's crazy how much the perspective has shifted over just a decade or so. And I find it interesting that people just don't really seem to care.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I've been keeping up with SNL lately and the amount of lip syncing they do is nuts...

It's crazy how much the perspective has shifted over just a decade or so. And I find it interesting that people just don't really seem to care.
    Especially since SNL used to be famous for their live performances, and Ashlee Simpson got absolutely roasted when she was caught lip syncing.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    That bad of a fuck up is incredible. Especially considering most singers in that field do run real time pitch correction as a "safety net", that's standard industry practice.
    Hell, they usually have a backing tape and they're only mixed like 10%. When you're used to that, an honest live performance must be fucking terrifying.

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

Quote Originally Posted by Lozek View Post
    An acquaintance of mine who was the drummer in a UK metal band is now teching for Jessie J. Not sure how big she is in the US but she's a fairly household name here, I've got a lot of respect for her skills.

That woman can fuckin' sing. I don't like her music, but she's definitely got skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Hell, they usually have a backing tape and they're only mixed like 10%. When you're used to that, an honest live performance must be fucking terrifying.
    I feel like multiple people dropped the ball on this.

Whoever made the decision to not pull the plug on that first performance should be fired.

It's not actually shocking that she sucked when left to do an actual live performance, it's shocking that an artist with a #1 hit who has all kinds of safeguards to prevent this thing from happening apparently had all the people who are in charge of making sure this sort of thing doesn't happen on a smoke break or something. This is an event where all the major record labels and the major tv stations are present and no executive got on the phone within the first 30 seconds of her singing and ordered "cut to the TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES screen, this is a fucking disaster."

Like, did someone trip over the power cord to the rack with all the auto-board antares units and accidentally unplug them or something? That's not even cutting edge technology or anything. Every Selena Gomez and Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift tours with fucking huge racks of outboard gear, many of which are "just there as a safety net (wink, wink)" rack mount pitch correction processors.

Like, who the fuck allowed this to happen? It's not like they allowed it to happen because they were suddenly interested in presenting an authentic live performance. This is supposed to be an event with the industry's best, or at least the industry's highest paid, and it's not like they don't have access to the most expensive cutting edge technology or presumably the best live engineers and FoH people money can buy.

There are times when nobly struggling through a performance even though you know it's horrible is the right thing to do..... this was not one of those times. That was so brutally cringe worthy.

I find it hard to believe that the industries best and brightest and all the high powered CEOs and shit just sat there while Selena Gomez lost them money with her atonal warbling thinking, "OK, she may have done the first two minutes of the song at least a half step off at all times, but I'm sure she will recover".

A huge sector of that part of the music industry is employed for the sole purpose of making sure the end consumer never finds out that the Selena Gomezs of the world aren't really that hot when it comes to the whole "vocal talent" thing. Like there are a bunch of people whose only job is to make sure the general public never finds out how they actually sound.