Selena Gomez takes stand against Auto-Tune in deconstruction of Western Harmony - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Selena Gomez takes stand against Auto-Tune in deconstruction of Western Harmony

ME: Schecter KM-7 mk iii
    MA: Wasburn D12S
    Rig: Orange Brent Hinds Terror

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    Especially since SNL used to be famous for their live performances, and Ashlee Simpson got absolutely roasted when she was caught lip syncing.
    that was so horrible and i laughed my ass off when i saw it
    she kinda disappeared into nothingness after that.

Remember the Billboard awards show when the orchestra backing up Evanescence was a half-step flat? Man that shit was painful

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

That vocal was very dry and out front, making me think it was a soundboard mixup and not a choice by the director. Even if they hadn't auto-tuned her, they would normally have placed the vocal more in the mix than that.

In today's pop, the "performer" is usually just eye candy. The producer could pick any one of a number of interchangeable pretty young people to do the vocals for a track that's already developed. Singing ability optional. What matters is the YouTube/Instagram reaction. Say what you will about Taylor Swift, at least she does write her own songs. Nobody's going to confuse her for Joni Mitchell, but it's her music and not some producer's.

ME: Gibson SG
    Rig: Pedals -> Dark Terror

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    Say what you will about Taylor Swift, at least she does write her own songs. Nobody's going to confuse her for Joni Mitchell, but it's her music and not some producer's.
    This. And she can actually sing, at least in ideal conditions. She was on SNL recently and did two songs, one unplugged-style that was just her and a piano, and one full production song. I'm pretty sure the big production was lip-synced, but I don't think the unplugged song was. There were too many transients - but I think the fact that I'm not sure probably speaks to her actual singing ability.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    This. And she can actually sing, at least in ideal conditions. She was on SNL recently and did two songs, one unplugged-style that was just her and a piano, and one full production song. I'm pretty sure the big production was lip-synced, but I don't think the unplugged song was. There were too many transients - but I think the fact that I'm not sure probably speaks to her actual singing ability.
    She's got a limited range and not a lot of projection, but at least she can sing in key.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegetta View Post
    Remember the Billboard awards show when the orchestra backing up Evanescence was a half-step flat? Man that shit was painful

You sure it wasn't the band? It sounded fine until the guitars kicked in, and then it sounded god fucking awful.

ME: Ibanez RGs
    MA: Cordoba Custom Flamenco
    MB: Ibanez SRs
    Rig: 5153 / Kemper

You sure it wasn't the band? It sounded fine until the guitars kicked in, and then it sounded god fucking awful.
    Yeah. Amy, and the orchestra were fine. It was when the out of tune guitars kicking in that sent the performance right down the toilet. Amy's tortured "wow" just hits the awfulness home.

As the guitarist, how do you NOT immediately stop playing? Nope, soldiering through with zero attempt to try and transpose on the fly.

ME: Suhr, Warmoth, rg550
    Rig: Mark V:25 & Mark II

As the guitarist, how do you NOT immediately stop playing? Nope, soldiering through with zero attempt to try and transpose on the fly.
    Really, pretend your cord fell out, or your amp stopped working. Something