Selena Gomez takes stand against Auto-Tune in deconstruction of Western Harmony - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Selena Gomez takes stand against Auto-Tune in deconstruction of Western Harmony

ME: ESP Baby Metal
    MB: ESP Horizon 5
    Rig: KR7, 5153, MKIV, UL

Yikes I can see why Rocky quit playing drums for them

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Schecter KM-7 mk iii
    MA: Wasburn D12S
    Rig: Orange Brent Hinds Terror

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    You sure it wasn't the band? It sounded fine until the guitars kicked in, and then it sounded god fucking awful.
    That actually makes a lot more sense.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

ME: 80s Carruthers strat
    MA: 90's era Fender 12 string
    MB: Ibanez ATK300 (MIK)
    Rig: Danelectro Honeytone

Was this before or after the original guitar player left the band? Or is this WHY he left?
    "40 is the new 80." - jaxadam

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Gibson
    MA: Fred Welker
    MB: Jazz
    Rig: ENGL/Fender/Marshall

OMFG I just heard this shit BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No.” ― Alan Moore

ME: Ibanez JEM7V
    MA: Enema Bag W/Piezo's

I found a story behind Evanescence at the Billboard awards-

It wasn't fine. To my knowledge and what I can conclude, the orchestra did not reherse with the band. So Amy and the guys practiced the performance in its original key, A major.

When the orchestra went to play with them live at the billboard awards, the conductor had to retune the electric piano Amy was playing in order to accomidate the string section. This happened within a few seconds, which is why you could see the conductor talking to Amy right before she started playing. So if you heard her say "It's okay...sorry" before the piano came in, now you know. Or at least that's what I've been able to gather. So last night's performance was in A-flat major.

Now, unfortunately for the band, they either weren't able to retune their guitars fast enough, or they didn't know about what had happened. So when they came in to give their part, they played in A-major. Chord problems anyone? There was a major dischord between what SHOULD have played and what ACTUALLY was playing.

Soundguys cut the bass feed first, then the guitars. This is why the string section sounds so loud, along with the drums. They were the only things still turned on besides Amy's piano. Amy got emotional over what happened - the string orchestra idea really added a layer of expectation; the whole thing had so much potential. She did break down during the final chorus: you could hear her voice quavering as though she was about to cry. There is a zoomed-in shot of Amy's hands when she's playing piano at the last part - she STOPS playing. After she sings "but you still have....", you can hear her release what sounds like a small sob before finishing the phrase.
    That's got to be a major fucking bummer.
    "It's ONE WHOLE MILLIMETER"

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

As fucked up as that is, I’m going to notice right away that the song is a half steep low. That was a long time before the band band came in; why weren’t they heading to their techs and asking for a guitar down a half step ASAP?

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    As fucked up as that is, I’m going to notice right away that the song is a half steep low. That was a long time before the band band came in; why weren’t they heading to their techs and asking for a guitar down a half step ASAP?
    Presumably, good relative pitch, but not perfect pitch?

I have a decent sense of relative pitch, but only a vague awareness of "perfect" pitch. If I play an A chord against an Ab, I'll know right away. If I have no reference pitch to go off, though, if someone starts playing in Ab instead of A, I'm not going to know it until I play an A and wonder why it sounds like shit.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace