Chapman Youtube Drama Nonsense Thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapman Youtube Drama Nonsense Thread

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    TLDW?
    New generation of Wannabe Youtube Monetization Gear Influencers Vs Old Generation of Youtube Monetization Gear Infuencers.

I didn't watch any of the videos, but you can gather that much from the thumbnail previews of the videos involved and the superimposed "EXPOSED" in block letters.

This new dude has decided his best route for fast tracking himself to Youtube super stardom is attacking Rob Chapman and Glenn Frickers. The situation is extremely complex in terms of deciding which side to back in all honesty, because they are all unlikable, but the new guy started a youtube channel from scratch titled KDHGuitarTV with a banner image with hotlinks to all his social media accounts.

I'm actually unfamiliar with exactly what each of the peoples involved shctick is. I believe Rob Chappers schtick is sort of being a whacky english dude with "so random" humor who appeals to people who watch anime, Glenn Frickers schtick is being a grumpy old guy who "exposes idiocy" with "old man common sense", so he's one of those, "WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS IS COMMON SENSE, FROM ME!" type guys. This new guys schitck is apparently accusing established youtubers of dishonest practices.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson SL3X
    Rig: Blackstar ID TVP 150

yeah i only watched the guitologist vid out of the 3 which seemed to show everything pretty fairly. honestly, idc about any of this type of shit. all I care about any specific youtuber is that when I click their video review because I'm researching product X, their video is well put together and shows what I'm looking for, an honest review of the product. unless you're killing babies or some shit idc about your "online personality" lol

ME: EBMM JP 13
    MA: Yamaha Classical Guitar
    Rig: Mark V w/ 2x12 V-30 Cab

None of this is Rock N' Roll.
    If anyone has any prayer requests, need to talk, or have questions about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
    Feel free to message me.

God Bless, Venator

Instagram: hrouthe

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Flexkill View Post
    I think he comes across as an ego maniac.
    All "influencers" are ego maniacs dude. If you are building a career based on subscribers and clicks and making yourself into a brand, you have to be an egomaniac. If your career involves large amounts of putting yourself in front of a lens and directing yourself (still or video), you fucking have to be. Having the sort of savvy for knowing angles and composition and shit that matches your online characterization is prerequisited by being an ego maniac.

Some of the Chapman haters are hypocrites, in that they immediately turn around and post every new update from another "more legit" influencer. Like "songs in 20 different styles" dude, or "analyzing this song" dude, or whatever.

I don't think Chapman is that annoying. People just don't like him because he's successful. I'm not really a fan, but I went to college for music, I hang out with nerd subcultures. I know like, a billion, "whacky socially awkward guys" in his mold. He's unlikable in the sense that he is a dude who has made a career out of cultivating subscribers and followers on social media, but in that field I don't think he's that outstandingly unlikable.

I'm not a fan, I've never even watched one of his videos, but in terms of youtube guitar gear influencers who live off of subscribers and clicks, he's not in a league of his own in terms of being annoying or anything.

You have to be an ego maniac to be good in front of cameras directing yourself routinely putting out 20 minute videos. Even guys that seem less obtrusive and in your face like Pro Guitar Shop Demo dude have an obvious grasp of how to act in front of cameras to put out a consistent characterization in the "go viral, get rich"era.

If you are savvy enough to recognize the best way to convey your "Star Power" in front of cameras, that ability is founded on being egomaniacal. People think that to have "Star Power" you have to be like, Brad Pitt or something, but this isn't 1930s Hollywood. Guys like Chapman and Fricker and Ola and the douchey guy with the bro beard and the backwards baseball caps have "Star Power". Reducing your personality to a attention grabbing set of mannerisms in front of a camera isn't an ability most people have.

Some people around these parts have a massive double standard about judging people who know how to sell themselves (and not "sell yourself" in The Police "Roxeanne" sense either). Chapman knows how to sell himself, Fricker does, Bulb does, Ola does, etc. etc. etc. Some dudes bash certain people for it and then turn around and sing the praises of others, which is ridiculous. These dudes are like actors, and a lot of them are also their own agents.

To make it in showbusiness you have to have some grasp on egomania and self promotion. Doesn't matter the field. People see these guys in front of cameras and think, "They don't have the same mindset as dudes who get dressing rooms with their name on the front", but yeah, they do, being a showbusiness personality with any measure of success requires a large amount of self promotion not everyone is capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    Yeah it is.

The stupid nostalgia heavy trip of, "The old times were better, we used to be less heavy on posturing" is just a myth VH1 classic tries to sell youngsters.

Anyone who tells you some shit about how, "It use to just be about having talent" is either willfully misremembering or full of shit.

Showmanship and posutring has been a major part of the "showbusiness" business since its inception. The idea that the old guys just showed up and played their guitar is such bullshit. Of course they understood how to make themselves into a memorable character.

Shit is centered around trying to sell people things, that's not something new that came about with the internet.

Go watch shit like Ken Burns documentary on country music. The people saying shit like, "It was more honest and straightforwards in those days" are clueless. Those guys in the '20s didn't dress up in chaps and cowboy hats for promo shots because that's just who they were, it's always been about making yourself into a character. Anyone who is successful in showbusiness understands a huge part of it is about making themselves into a memorable character and always has been.

We all know Steven Wilson, and a bunch of idiots channeling Steven Wilson, who do the whole stupid "I take off my shoes on stage to feel closer to the music because I am so honest and pure" shit.

Bull. Shit.

That's just an interesting characterization attribute that makes you immediately memorable.

The whole, "Before 1990, people honestly didn't care about doing it for the fame or money, they did it for the art" thing is only something people who think the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a legitimate and respected organization believe.

Half the people bitching about all the stupid shit Rob Chapman has had to do to become a "Star" are just doing it because they are bitter they couldn't make it as a "Star of screen and stage".

ME: Suhr, Warmoth, rg550
    Rig: Mark V:25 & Mark II

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    yeah i only watched the guitologist vid out of the 3 which seemed to show everything pretty fairly. honestly, idc about any of this type of shit. all I care about any specific youtuber is that when I click their video review because I'm researching product X, their video is well put together and shows what I'm looking for, an honest review of the product. unless you're killing babies or some shit idc about your "online personality" lol
    Remember when the Guitologist made videos about repairing amps?

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Quote Originally Posted by MFB View Post
    Is there a summary of this that DOESN'T end with us watching a handful of different videos with the most cliche YT thumbnails from bedroom warriors that we don't give two flying fucks about?
    No shit, right? This is worse than djent drama, every one of these videos is just attention whoring for clicks.

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post