Neil Peart. 1952-2020 - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Neil Peart. 1952-2020

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Quote Originally Posted by scole View Post
    I had this come across my Youtube feed tonight. Supposedly Portnoy has said this is the only guy he can't match
    Outstanding playing but like all prog, the song is boring, sterile and almost unlistenable from a songwriting perspective.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez 540P
    MA: Ovation Celebrity CS257
    MB: Ibanez SRX2EX1
    Rig: BIAS FX

I don't disagree with that.

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Quote Originally Posted by scole View Post
    I don't disagree with that.
    It reminds me of this. Just because the band has more talent than like 50 normal bands combined doesn't necessarily mean they'll write good songs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez RGs
    MA: Cordoba Custom Flamenco
    MB: Ibanez SRs
    Rig: 5153 / Kemper

I can sort of see Virgil Donati and Thomas Lang doing it for a bit. They've got some pop music background in the past so at least they can show some restraint. That vid is more of a showcase so it really isn't a good representative.

I spent the weekend going through Signals and Grace Under Pressure whilst driving around. And it was a great reminder how Neil Peart was always playing with purpose no matter the context, always to enhance the song. The one snare fill he does following Geddy's vocals on The Enemy Within speaks larger volumes than every moment Mike Portnoy tries to follow other instruments note for note.

It also made me realise that Neil Peart is my favorite drummer of all time, and I've always used him as a point of reference whenever I write drum parts.

ME: Ibanez RGs
    MA: Cordoba Custom Flamenco
    MB: Ibanez SRs
    Rig: 5153 / Kemper

One guy. Just one guy playing an entire percussion section whilst holding down drum beat and doing it all without breaking a sweat.

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody_Inferno View Post
    I spent the weekend going through Signals and Grace Under Pressure whilst driving around. And it was a great reminder how Neil Peart was always playing with purpose no matter the context, always to enhance the song. The one snare fill he does following Geddy's vocals on The Enemy Within speaks larger volumes than every moment Mike Portnoy tries to follow other instruments note for note.
    This. He wrote a bunch of complex parts that required a high level of technical ability, but it never sounded like he was showing off. Everything was so integral to the music, locking in like a piece of the puzzle, as if he was playing in a symphony.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Not that you ever want to see this news, but this is a particularly hard one to take. I was never a huge Rush fan but mostly for the vocals - their musicianship was unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I had beers tonight with a buddy of mine who's a huge Rush fan and raised an interesting discussion.

If Rush wasn't done, and ignoring the fact that NP was the primary songwriter/lyricist as well - what other drummers could possibly step into this gig? Who else is really even close to being on the level that Peart was? Portnoy and Mangini come to mind obviously, but who else? Marco Minnemann, maybe? Virgil Donati? Gavin Harrison?
    Minnemann I could see choosing to be pretty true to the source material out of respect, and Harrison would be a good fit too. I'd say Danny Carey is another guy who COULD do it, and was a fan, but while they're both coming from similar spots ("play stuff that's super complex, that doesn't always call attention to itself for being complex") stylistically they're so different that I'm not sure he'd want to. Tool would probably provide him plenty of free time though.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Minnemann I could see choosing to be pretty true to the source material out of respect, and Harrison would be a good fit too. I'd say Danny Carey is another guy who COULD do it, and was a fan, but while they're both coming from similar spots ("play stuff that's super complex, that doesn't always call attention to itself for being complex") stylistically they're so different that I'm not sure he'd want to. Tool would probably provide him plenty of free time though.
    I think Minnemann would get the vibe right. Every time I've seen him live, he's played with such absolute joy. Like Peart, he doesn't sound like he's putting on a clinic, since the passion he has for music comes through loud and clear.

Having said that, I never want to hear Rush without all three of those guys. I'm not even a fan of the first album with John Rutsey, since it is brutally obvious that Peart's drumming and lyrics were the final piece of the puzzle needed to elevate Rush above Canadian Led Zeppelin clone. There is a very definite reason that Rush released eighteen (!) studio albums with the same lineup, and I have zero interest in hearing someone else slotted in. I do hope that Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee move on to new projects--the constantly evolving Rush demonstrates that they still have more to say--since it would be interesting to hear them collaborating with different musicians.