NAMM 2020 kinda Boring? - Page 2
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: NAMM 2020 kinda Boring?

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

For me, there's very little at NAMM this year that I really give a shit about, but that's more a reflection of the fact I'm pretty happy with my current setup - guitars, amps, recording gear, all of it - and aside from maybe one day wanting to grab a good Tele and some sort of a semi-hollow, there just aren't too many things I'm really lusting after.

Now, bikes, on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Variant View Post
    Really? We we watching the same NAMM 2020? I thought the exact takeaways were tons of aesthetic choices and a lot of reissue/throwback stuff.
    Based on the guitars you're talking about, I think you and Mattayus may be seeing the same djent-friendly aesthetic in very, very, VERY different ways.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez 540P
    MA: Ovation Celebrity CS257
    MB: Ibanez SRX2EX1
    Rig: BIAS FX

brOla release his first walkthough video from NAMM:

Personally, I am "meh" this this year's NAMM. The new PIAs were the big NAMM craze but I don't find them special and look fugly. Outside of that, the other brands I have an interest in (Kramer, Korg, Alesis) didn't really announce anything interesting. I throw Kramer in this category because god knows when anything they announce actually becomes available for purchase..

ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

That's interesting. I wonder how it will effect the stability of the strings. One thing that's a trick with bass is: Smacking that shit like Chris Brown sounds good, but hitting that hard causes notes to pull sharp, and the only way around it is to pull a bit of the waver out with Melodyne or VariPitch or similar after the fact.

Wonder how they'll manage the fact that string spacing on basses isn't NEARLY as consistent as guitars as well.
    That is what Evertune does.

It makes the string in tune.

So you can hit hard and the pitch will not jump noticably much.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Ola jamming and twisting knobs on that Neural thing already sounds 10x better than anything in the official demos.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

Well I did say "sounds good to me" so just like any other gadget it's up to the user to make it sound good

Kempers are legit units, but I can sure make them sound like ass.

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Based on the guitars you're talking about, I think you and Mattayus may be seeing the same djent-friendly aesthetic in very, very, VERY different ways.
    I don't know about "djent friendly aesthetic". I saw a relaunch of the Nightswan (or at least, re-release), re-release of the Fender HM Strat, the ESP/LTD '87 series, and the Epiphone Kalamazoo headstock line. I just don't know how you could look at this NAMM and say either nothing substantial was released or that they're not doing reissues.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

I mean, if he's big into the djent/modern metal thing, I still think there were a decent number of guitars dropped this year. Maybe not as much as in previous years, but that market is pretty saturated.

Overall, though there were quite a lot of colorful, more shreddiggity modern & shreddiggity throwback stuff. Even Fender brought out the old superstratsrats, Gibson rolled out a bunch of Kramer stuff, Kiesel had the X-series, ESP and Schecter bringing back some classic body shapes. Crackle finishes, flip flop finishes, pearlescent finishes, flake finishes, neon finishes, graphic finishes, more bursts than you can shake a magical burst wand at. That and the dad rock standards (Fender, Gibson, etc.) seemed to pulling hard too. Big lines of options, new stuff here, reissues there.
    No, he's definitely not.

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: Kemper / Axe-3 / Mark V

Oh, I'm confused then. Anywho, I'm not sure what constitutes a "djent aesthetic",
    Start with needlessly over-beveled tops, add in a splash of kiezel.