Steve Lukather tells the story of recording Beat It with MJ and Eddie
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steve Lukather tells the story of recording Beat It with MJ and Eddie

ME: Charvel San Dimas
    MB: Charvel 3b
    Rig: Marshall JVM210H (modded)

Steve Lukather tells the story of recording Beat It with MJ and Eddie

This is great, even if he is being interviewed by an Ewok.
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: ESP MI Custom
    MB: Fender Jazz custom
    Rig: Kemper

Just listened to the isolated guitar tracks on Youtube, such a weird collection of stuff. I know they all serve the song, but I would feel like some kind of fraud writing parts that dis-connected. Just goes to show how wrapped up guitarists get in 'approach' when a Producer may have a totally different take on things. Also intersting to hear how well played the rhythm parts are in comparison to Van Halen's solo, I guess we're going to call that 'feel'.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Quote Originally Posted by Lozek View Post
    Just listened to the isolated guitar tracks on Youtube, such a weird collection of stuff. I know they all serve the song, but I would feel like some kind of fraud writing parts that dis-connected. Just goes to show how wrapped up guitarists get in 'approach' when a Producer may have a totally different take on things. Also intersting to hear how well played the rhythm parts are in comparison to Van Halen's solo, I guess we're going to call that 'feel'.
    Quincy Jones got his start with string/horn arrangements for people like Frank Sinatra. It's no surprise he sees things more from an 'orchestral' perspective and not from an 'I should be playing something here' view that a band member would have. To somebody like him, guitar is just another tone color in a large palette.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Charvel San Dimas
    MB: Charvel 3b
    Rig: Marshall JVM210H (modded)

Quote Originally Posted by Lozek View Post
    That's the calling card of the session musician, IMO.

I'm such a guitarist, every band I've been in I can't help but try to dictate how literally everything goes It's not ego (at least I don't think so/hope not) I just have a really clear vision, which is probably the producer in me coming out. It also doesn't help that I got into music through rock/metal, which is completely riff-orientated.

Toto is just a collection of outstanding session players, it's no wonder they're one of the best bands of all time. Everything each one of them does is so complimentary, whilst still being exceptionally executed. There's no way I could have listened to The Girl Is Mine and come up with that funky little line (that is simultaneously an integral part of the groove whilst somehow being barely noticeable). I'd have obnoxiously riffed all over it and got thrown off the session immediately.

Lukather really is underrated as all hell.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Guitarists are generally the WORST at being able to self-edit ourselves properly into a complex arrangement! For me, it really helps to spend time working on and studying arrangements that don't include guitar, just to see how the process is supposed to go.

Lukather's worked on so many different types of sessions that I'm sure he's acquired a good sense of how to fit in to any context.

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    Guitarists are generally the WORST at being able to self-edit ourselves properly into a complex arrangement! For me, it really helps to spend time working on and studying arrangements that don't include guitar, just to see how the process is supposed to go.

Lukather's worked on so many different types of sessions that I'm sure he's acquired a good sense of how to fit in to any context.

One of the exceptions to that is Steve Cropper of Booker T and the MG's. Dude was a master at barely playing anything and sounding immense.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    Quincy Jones got his start with string/horn arrangements for people like Frank Sinatra.
    He's had a long and storied career.

The past decade he's expanded more into his "batshit insanity" phase. These days all he does is give interviews that give hundreds of outrageous soundbytes.

ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    This is great, even if he is being interviewed by an Ewok.
    Not an ewok, but a futuristic orangutang.