New Joe Satriani - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Joe Satriani

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    I meant a band with an actual rhythm section
    They *had* an actual rhythm section. What they didn't have was songs; Sammy is the only one who can write, and his well dried up long ago.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    They *had* an actual rhythm section. What they didn't have was songs; Sammy is the only one who can write, and his well dried up long ago.
    The single best thing about Chickenfoot was it gave Joe an outlet for the Led Zep side of his musical personality. I don't think it's at ALL a cooincidence that the number of songs of his based around simple blues rock riffs with blues-based melody lines with, like, one odd note for color dropped WAY off after he started working with Chickenfoot, and the quality of his solo material writing got (IMO) a lot, lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody_Inferno View Post
    For what it's worth, I'm keeping my expectations low like I did when he released Energy and A Door To Summer, since the albums they came from are both great. Hell, Thunder On High Mountain is one of the best songs he's written in years.

EDIT: Seriously, that riff is one of the best Satch has done in years.

He did. And we got Chickenfoot from it.
    Yeah, that album ruled, hard, and Door Into Summer was forgettable compared to that tune. Though, I DID like Energy, although I think it functions a lot better as an album opener than a standalone track.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Ibanez RGs
    MA: Cordoba Custom Flamenco
    MB: Ibanez SRs
    Rig: 5153 / Kemper

Not really feeling this one, almost like a Super Colossal leftover, but at least with better production. I do like the huge sounding chords on the outro.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: EBMM JP 13
    MA: Yamaha Classical Guitar
    Rig: Mark V w/ 2x12 V-30 Cab

Not really feeling this one, almost like a Super Colossal leftover, but at least with better production. I do like the huge sounding chords on the outro.
    Agreed, his chords sound amazing but nothing proactively bringing me into to listen to it again.

I never thought he would go back to being so tammed but only pushing the bar more due to recent albums. So I'm really bummed by it honestly.
    At least I know he will at least have a few songs with killer melodies.
    If anyone has any prayer requests, need to talk, or have questions about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
    Feel free to message me.

God Bless, Venator

Instagram: hrouthe

ME: Ibanez RGs
    MA: Cordoba Custom Flamenco
    MB: Ibanez SRs
    Rig: 5153 / Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    I never thought he would go back to being so tammed but only pushing the bar more due to recent albums. So I'm really bummed by it honestly.
    At least I know he will at least have a few songs with killer melodies.
    Since only 2 of 13 songs have been revealed, I'm still reserving judgment. Satch was saying in various interviews that this will be his most diverse album he's ever done, which has my curiosity sparked. That and he's got Christopher Guest (Nigel Tufnel) playing mandolin for a song.

EDIT: Also his eventual live band is going to be interesting since it includes this guy.

Rai is an awesome left field choice for Satch in a live setting so I'm really looking forward to what he puts on the table.

ME: EBMM JP 13
    MA: Yamaha Classical Guitar
    Rig: Mark V w/ 2x12 V-30 Cab

Since only 2 of 13 songs have been revealed, I'm still reserving judgment. Satch was saying in various interviews that this will be his most diverse album he's ever done, which has my curiosity sparked. That and he's got Christopher Guest (Nigel Tufnel) playing mandolin for a song.

EDIT: Also his eventual live band is going to be interesting since it includes this guy.

Rai is an awesome left field choice for Satch in a live setting so I'm really looking forward to what he puts on the table.
    Didn't know that, so I am definitely interested then.

You ever think he ever re-recorded Surfing with the Alien now that it would be sick? That's just something I have always thought about it, even though I love it as it is.