Metal Guitarist Forums banner

New Joe Satriani

Tags
joe satriani
3K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Bloody_Inferno 
#1 ·
#8 ·
It's fine. Not the worst thing he's ever done, but not the best - sorta filler material on one of his albums. Maybe it'll grow on me over time.

Ah comme on.. what are you guys expecting?

Tell me a guitar player Instrumental album only where every new record is exciting like if its something never heard?

I really liked his last one and especially Wormhole Wizards
Better writing. His last one was really pretty good, and the two before that had some pretty great moments too. For the most part though, from Strange Beautiful Music through Wormhole Wizards, you've probably got about one album's worth of really great songs, and then a whole bunch of stuff a lot like this.

#11 ·
For what it's worth, I'm keeping my expectations low like I did when he released Energy and A Door To Summer, since the albums they came from are both great. Hell, Thunder On High Mountain is one of the best songs he's written in years.

EDIT: Seriously, that riff.

He did. And we got Chickenfoot from it. :ugh:

#15 ·
I respect Joe but starting 3 decades or so ago he started the "guitar soloing over bland backfround" thing I have never got into. Today its morphed into a million home made youtube shred guys playing major key shred over elevator music / bland mind knumbing backing tracks. What used to be practice is not a limp neo-artform..... but hey that just me.

:clint:

#20 ·
Agreed, his chords sound amazing but nothing proactively bringing me into to listen to it again.

I never thought he would go back to being so tammed but only pushing the bar more due to recent albums. So I'm really bummed by it honestly.
At least I know he will at least have a few songs with killer melodies.

#23 ·
So the album is out, and I've smashed through it on Spotify a few times already. :lol:

Once again, the 2 singles do not show the album justice. This is perhaps his most experimental album since Engines Of Creation, and easily his most eclectic work. There's some songs that reminds me right back to Not Of This Earth, some quasi cinematic, country, some songs with whistling, hell, there's a reggae song here. But it all works. The songwriting is great, they're not too long so they don't wear their welcome, with all the diversity. This is the album I've wanted Satch to do for a long time and it's really nice to hear him spread himself out.

#26 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.