Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Mainstream Pop has apparently gone D-Beat/Ministry style industrial

3K views 43 replies 18 participants last post by  296 
#1 ·

Apparently this is a mainstream pop thing off of the big name soundtrack for Ye Olde Big Name Currently in Theaters Comic Book Movie. Not crazy about the vocals (although they are processed through the signature industrial lo-fi "Al Jourgensen yelling into a megaphone" type effect) or the stupid lyrics.

But I'm not gonna lie, it's easy to dismiss the track as shit, but if it didn't have vocals you could easily mistake it for Ministry or something off the DOOM soundtrack.

It's actually a better Ministry song than Ministry has done in a while.

#4 ·
The only part that was unintentionally shitty sounding were the fact the keyboards are way too loud and the guitars aren't palm muted like trve thrash era Ministry riffs.

The rest is like, it's D-Beat and Industrial, it's supposed to sound grating and lo-fi. Those are two of the biggest lo fi/lionizing genres out there. Although the track is faux lo-fi obviously, they aren't going to let anything that's not heavily produced on a multi platinum soundtrack. The lo-fi is all intentional processing obviously.

It's not true D Beat unless it is really grating to listen to.

#6 ·
Not sure where you heard d-beat in that song? That's a specific drumbeat.

Originally unleashed by Buzzcocks in 1978:

After that you could hear a obscure swedish band playing it in 1979:

Then made iconic by Discharge in 1980

After that brought to even more intense levels by (also swedish) Anti-Cimex in 1982 (?)

Also I wanna give a thumbs up to Duff McKagan (!) for playing perfect d-beat in 10 Minute Warning, also in 1982

#8 ·
Not sure where you heard d-beat in that song? That's a specific drumbeat.
Is that what it is? Shit, I never knew that. If I had to guess I would have never guessed it was a specific beat named after a seminal crust punk band that started with a D.

Do you think there is room for any variation there? Toontrack does.

Joking aside, I know there is some debate about how strict the definition should be. Confusingly, D Beat is used to refer to the specific beat, a style of drumming, and a genre.

I was using it more in the "General Crust Punk Heavy Drums" sense. Whether or not it qualifies as D Beat depends on how strict you want to be.

A lot of the Toontrack packs actually have some "D Beats" that would offend hard line purists.

#17 ·
I didn't call Overkill D-Beat, I said, "D beat evolved out of stuff in the stylistic, energetic vein of Motorhead.".

I actually always see punks arguing about this shit. And it's stupid as fuck. That is like, the most unpunk thing you can do.

"I'm sorry, but the rules say only this can be D-Beat, it belongs to a specific artist. There can be no variations or deviance."

Because following rules and conventions down to the letter and believing in monopolistic propriety of an idea are so fucking punk.

Punk is a mindset dude. That is why Motorhead will always be more punk than people who argue about the rules of punk.

#20 ·
This is why most of the real punks don't play anything close to what people call "punk rock" music. And people say "punk died in 1978, only 'punk rock' exists now".

D-Beat is whatever I want it to be. I can call Destiny's Child D-Beat.

I really give zero shits about if what I am calling D-Beat is D-beat, which is more punk than demanding everyone conform to a rule.

#34 · (Edited)
New Doom OST is boss as fuck as it gets.

P.S. Halsey's always been a third-rate culture vulture masquerading as "not pop but yeah actually pop*" and her shit fucking sucks to boot.

Man, I'm 100% okay with terrible music existing, but fuck me, I pray for major labels to die.

Just go make more shitty comic book movies already, media consolidation. :roll2: There's no money in music, now go away. Go. Away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.