What Gibson is this? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Gibson is this?

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    This is why I don't own a Les Paul. You need to have a degree in Gibsoning to dodge all of the potential pitfalls of buying a shitty one.
    Typically, the shitty ones say Gibson on the headstock.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: Mark V / Axe-3 / Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    Vag Jackson, Man Of Action

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    It's not a Custom Shop guitar, based on the serial number, but it looks to be a legitimate Gibson. The price isn't bad for that, if it's in good condition.
    They did have "Custom" in the model name for some guitars that were neither LP Customs or made in the Custom shop though. Confusingly enough.

Whether or not it's made in the Custom Shop isn't actually a cause of concern. Especially at the $1.2k price point. You have to consider that on modern Gibsons, whether or not it was made in the Custom Shop has nothing to do with quality.

The modern 1960 whatever they have now made in the "Custom Shop" doesn't have "Made In USA" stamped on the headstock.

You can probably pretty reasonably date it from that if the seller isn't giving you a year. Since exactly where they stamped it varies.

Spec wise it matches up with the model they are currently calling the "Custom Historic", but that's most likely closer to a 2011-2012 model.

This is why I don't own a Les Paul. You need to have a degree in Gibsoning to dodge all of the potential pitfalls of buying a shitty one.
    The current LP naming scheme is worse than the RG naming scheme. You would think, "Oh, it's beautifully simple, there are two LPs, the Standard and the Custom", but there are actually 7,000 different LP configs.

I don't know which hurdle you clear first if you are trying to figure out what model it is, whether it's a legit Gibson or a fake, or whether it's a Gibson you would actually want.

The seller in this case is doing the whole "showing it's a legit Gibson" by pulling the pickups, showing the truss rod, and showing shots of the tuner stamping. So you either don't have to worry about that, or the seller is extremely committed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I agree, looks like a regular ole Standard to me. The Custom Shop serials, especially for the historic reissues, are completely different.
    It has Klusons, so it's not the most common Standard model. Although I think now they have different models for the "Standard 60s" and the "Standard 50s" and the older ones have Klusons. Definitely right about the "CUSTOM SHOP HISTORIC REISSUES" having shorter serial numbers though.

ME: n/a
    Rig: n/a

This is not a custom.

For some reason, this screams "Les Paul Classic" to me rather than Standard.
    Last edited by Assault Bacon; 02-18-2020 at 02:34 PM.
    Words I didn't say hurt my feelers... but this is my safe space.

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: Mark V / Axe-3 / Kemper

RG naming scheme is easy though. Just buy a 550.

RG naming scheme is easy though. Just buy a 550.
    Ibanez sucks in terms of naming schemes by not sticking to either, "The higher number ones are better/more expensive/more premium" or "The lower number ones are better/more expensive/more premium". Which a lot of companies do.

Gibson's naming schemes don't use as many numbers, because they are a premium American brand, they go for model numbers the length of a small book instead.

Not only does which adjectives you are getting denote the model, the order the adjectives appear in is also a modifier. So the "Custom Historic Standard" is a different guitar than the "Standard Historic Custom" and both are different from the "Standard Custom Historic VOS".