K.K. Downing Launches His Own Version of JUDAS PRIEST

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: Mark V / Axe-3 / Kemper

Glad to see he's still playing KxKs. Rob was a good dude, sucks he's not building anymore.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Normally when something like this happens it's obviously not legit, and is someone who played in a band for one album. And while it does come across as sad and desperate, KK Downing was enough of a serious member and writer for Priest I don't really find this offensive.

Les Binks is also involved, he drummed on Priest's best album. He hasn't been doing much of anything I've heard of for 40 years though, so who knows how good he still is.

"Ripper" Owens is a fucking idiot though. Works for Monster Energy and spends his free time "triggering liberals" on twitter. There are some pretty ok-ish songs from his tenure in Judas Priest. Cathedral Spires is cool. Even though he has a good voice, YJM's Perpetual Flame is the only album he's appeared on where I really think he's good in his own right and not an adequate fill in for someone else.

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: Mark V / Axe-3 / Kemper

Ripper is indeed a massive douche, it's not surprising that his career is a parade of b-list gigs.

https://www.metalsucks.net/2016/10/1...casual-racism/

KK was in Priest forever, and might just want to do something else with some different people. At that point in his career he can do whatever the hell he wants, so good for him. I wouldn't hate on (for example) Dave Murray if he wanted to play with some of his old buds instead. I'm not familiar with Les Binks but you must be mistaken, because Scott Travis played on Painkiller.

Painkiller is the supreme Priest album. It's like AJFA, Rust In Peace, Slave to the Grind and Seventh Son.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post

Painkiller is the supreme Priest album.

Ripper is indeed a massive douche, it's not surprising that his career is a parade of b-list gigs.

https://www.metalsucks.net/2016/10/1...casual-racism/

KK was in Priest forever, and might just want to do something else with some different people. At that point in his career he can do whatever the hell he wants, so good for him. I wouldn't hate on (for example) Dave Murray if he wanted to play with some of his old buds instead. I'm not familiar with Les Binks but you must be mistaken, because Scott Travis played on Painkiller.

Painkiller is the supreme Priest album. It's like AJFA, Rust In Peace, Slave to the Grind and Seventh Son.
    Les Binks is on Stained Class.

Huge fan of Painkiller, and it has some of their best material, but it also has some weak tracks. Sometimes I essentially consider it tied with SFV and SC, but in all honesty SFV and Stained Class are both better album experiences.

Painkiller doesn't really have any weak tracks, some people dislike Touch of Evil for being cheesy, but I've always liked them. But other than Touch of Evil they are all essentially the same type of track.

Hell Patrol and All Guns Blazing and Leather Rebel are all awesome undderrated tracks.

One Shot at Glory and Between the Hammer and the Anvil are awesome tracks too.

Nightcrawler and Metal Meltdown are like........ those are good tracks. No one would call them bad. But there are already a bunch of ripping songs on the album in the same vein. Stained Class and Screaming are both more varied.

In terms of late era, post SFV 80s Priest, if you traded Nightcrawler and Metal Meltdown for Blood Red Skies (the most underrated Judas Priest song in existence) and The Sentinel it would definitely be the best Priest album. As is, it's just not as interestingly varied as the other two top albums.

Ram It Down was also supposed to have a cover of "Play With Fire" that has still never seen the light of day, which I am perpetually pissed about. Since even though I am not a fan of The Rolling Stones, that song rules.

They released most of the album tracks that didn't make the cut on the early 2000s reissues, and some are awesome, but that one has never been released.

In all honesty though. Painkiller kind of sucks as an album because the title track is too good.

There are a lot of other songs on the album that are top notch material, but Painkiller is the ultimate, quintessential Heavy Metal song.

That's not an insult to the album, but when the opening track is a track that can't possibly be topped of course it isn't the best experience. AJFA and Seventh Son are both more spread out and varied. You don't play the first track on those and think, "Well, they aren't going to top this."

That's not an insult to the quality of the music, it's just an unfortunate result of having an album where the title intro track rules so fucking hard that no matter how good the rest of the album is there is no way it can compare.

ME: ESP MI Custom
    MB: Fender Jazz custom
    Rig: Kemper

Painkiller is the supreme Priest album

Also pleased to see an old gigging buddy of mine on guitar (AJ), his band have had a long association with KK so not a surprise that he's involved.