Metal Guitarist Forums banner

METALLICA 'Blackened' soft version While In Quarantine

3K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  Soopahmahn 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I was excited to check this out, until I actually heard them playing. Not excited anymore. James looks like hes ready to fix a watch or build tiny furniture.

To cleanse every ones ears after hearing that crap. Yes, quarantine is making me even more of an asshole. :pickle:

#15 ·
Yeah me too. Its it AMAZING? No... its it awfull? Yes
That was terrible. Shoulda had the dude from Puddle of Mud sing it :lol:

Chamber music style!

#23 ·
I would rather buy an album of remixes in this style instead of any new shit by them. Actually, just James by himself...the other guys added absolutely nothing to this, whatsoever.

Also, I love how Kirk literally has no idea what the fuck to do. "Guys, how 'bout I just do a trill right here...for like 30 seconds?" (James)"Yeah, sure man, whatever. Okay, take one..."

#24 ·
The problem with Hetfield is that he's spent the last 20+ years trying to sound like a country crooner, and he's just not a good singer. He was an awesome thrash vocalist when he was younger, and as he got older he adopted something that works for him but IMO doesn't work for Metallica. He's just a bad singer, every song he sings like this sounds like some dude quietly singing along with the radio in their car or something.

Hetfield is one of the best songwriters in metal history and an absolute monster talent, no doubt. He should be in every music hall of fame, in the top 10 of every list, poll, blah blah you name it. But post-AJFA/Black he's just a dude with a lousy voice in a band that sued it's fans. I'll always be a Metallica fan because I grew up on them but I'll always associate Crooner-hetfield with Load-and-onward Metallica. Which is a hugely popular band that hasn't put out a good album since *1991.

Next year will mark 30 years since we had the last really solid Metallica album (Black) and even that was the beginning of the end. It's where his voice started to go and he adopted the "ooh!" "yeah-heah!" nonsense at end of every lyric. It's also where Hammett bought his wah pedal and never turned the fucking thing off. :lol:

*S&M gets an honorable mention because that was great.

#27 ·
The problem with Hetfield is that he's spent the last 20+ years trying to sound like a country crooner, and he's just not a good singer. He was an awesome thrash vocalist when he was younger, and as he got older he adopted something that works for him but IMO doesn't work for Metallica. He's just a bad singer, every song he sings like this sounds like some dude quietly singing along with the radio in their car or something.
I agree with you as to his clean singing in the context of Metallica arrangements. Here, however, I find that his clean singing is very effective.

Obviously, the "James Hetfield Folk Experience" would never sell out stadiums around the world, so he'll keep struggling to scream-sing like a 25-year-old in his day job.

Kind of a shame, though, because I hear a way forward for him with this recording, though the other guys are definitely surplus to requirements! :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.