Metal Guitarist Forums banner

No One Swings Like The King by Phill X

667 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Venator 
#1 ·
#3 ·
This guy is stupid talented.

I'd love to jam with him because it honestly would be a great time.

And he's right, no one has that E.V.H. Swing. I've tried playing "I'm in the One" so many times and it is so hard to get that swing down.

Yeah, this isolated performance is nuts.

#4 ·
^ I think part of it is that it's always easier to add feel and snazz to your own stuff than it is when you're covering someone else. No matter how much someone likes EVH, a lot of these takes are EVH playing his own writing where he's able to improv and ad-lib wherever he wants.

When you're playing that loose, you will always sound better than someone else trying to play what you just played.

#6 ·
^ I think part of it is that it's always easier to add feel and snazz to your own stuff than it is when you're covering someone else. No matter how much someone likes EVH, a lot of these takes are EVH playing his own writing where he's able to improv and ad-lib wherever he wants.

When you're playing that loose, you will always sound better than someone else trying to play what you just played.
A lot of truth to that. I've never liked the idea of covering EVH's stuff because I know I will never sound exactly like because he is so much HIM.

Al Estrada is the only guy that I heard that I could swear it was Eddie playing

So that's the guy DLR hired! Man, it was scary how close he sounded to EVH! He did such a great job and was absolutely incredible!
His tone was perfect. Stupid good. DLR put on a great show with a great band.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.