New Steve Vai song - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Steve Vai song

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Actually they just sound plain old out of tune but it's Vai so he gets a pass. They still sound shitty though.
    Yeah, some parts of that tune were really cool - I just have hard time with Vai because it feels like he often adds a lot of weird sounding shit in his songs just because he can, not because it contributes to a good song.
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody_Inferno View Post
    Custom hardtail Jem modeled after a strat.

But thats not a hardtail

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

I thought that was pretty cool. It's obvious that he's still working out that technique, but when it worked in that song I liked it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Drucifer View Post
    Which venue was that? I saw the 2001 G3 tour at the Bank of America Pavillion but that was pre-solo album, IIRR. It was Petrucci, Vai and Satch. Vai threw a bitch-fit onstage when his Sustainer was fucking up during the intro of “Whispering A Prayer”, pulled the guitar off his neck and dropped it flat on the stage, volume full up, then walked away like a primadonna.
    Quite a bit after that - I saw the '01 tour in NYC with a college buddy, and not only was it phenominal, but Petrucci's tone blew me away on that tour. Between that one and, um, maybe 07 was his nect G3, he went from a Mark IIC+ (or some sort of mark, I never got a look at it) to a Road King, and I don't know what else changed but his tone got a lot deeper for the riffy bis and just ice-pick shrill for the leads, and Chris is not exaggerating - we went out for a beer in the lobby because the walls took the edge off a painfully loud/bright tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocka_Rollas View Post
    But thats not a hardtail
    Neither is the guitar in the video. If the trem is decked flat to the top with enough sprint tension, though, it's going to behave like one when you bend.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

On topic, Vai is such a nut, and immediately distinctive. I actually dig the tune, and I like his clean tone here more than I do what I've heard from him recently, but I'd love o hear the "chickin pickin" inspired stuff replaced by a soaring distorted solo, I think. That may just be me.

Pretty badass performance, though, with all those compound bends.

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Drucifer View Post

Which venue was that? I saw the 2001 G3 tour at the Bank of America Pavillion but that was pre-solo album, IIRR. It was Petrucci, Vai and Satch. Vai threw a bitch-fit onstage when his Sustainer was fucking up during the intro of “Whispering A Prayer”, pulled the guitar off his neck and dropped it flat on the stage, volume full up, then walked away like a primadonna.

I came to realize as of late that Petrucci is 3/4’s the reason you can barely hear Myung on DT records. I don’t think Petrucci is as concerned with getting a guitar tone that works with the bass as much as he is making “chocolate cake” tones.
    I want to say it was the Orpheum.

ME: Fender Telecasters
    MA: Emerald X20 Artisan
    MB: STR LS-648
    Rig: Mk IVa / Fractal AX8

Love Steve, but that's just 'eh' to me. I have to wonder who he saw or what he heard to come up with that take on double bends, but there's no doubt 1000 country guys do it better.
    "Oh, those jazz guys are just making that stuff up!" - Homer J. Simpson

ME: Ibanez RG3120
    MA: Breedlove Pursuit Concert
    MB: Dingwall NG-2
    Rig: Mesa/Boogie Road King

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    This just sounds like Vai noodling over a really simple backing track.
    This was my takeaway. Cool stuff though.