Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Steve Vai song

ME: Ibanez RGs
    MA: Cordoba Custom Flamenco
    MB: Ibanez SRs
    Rig: 5153 / Kemper

New Steve Vai song

Live streamed for his 60th birthday.

About as close to the Alien Love Secrets power trio style we're going to get.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

What "Jem" is that? Looks like a RX with the Jem cut.

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

I like it.

I'd love to see an entire set of him playing stuff like this in a small jazz club type setting.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez RGs
    MA: Cordoba Custom Flamenco
    MB: Ibanez SRs
    Rig: 5153 / Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by mpexus View Post
    What "Jem" is that? Looks like a RX with the Jem cut.
    Custom hardtail Jem modeled after a strat.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I like it.

I'd love to see an entire set of him playing stuff like this in a small jazz club type setting.
    Being a guitarist in a power trio format is something we want all guitarists to go through, since there's little to no backing you get to hear the instrument in it's full glory. Andy Timmons has shown that it's awesome, and Vai's own Alien Love Secrets is a favorite for some for that reason.

Considering that album feels more like a brief sojourn for Vai nowadays, I agree that it'd be cool for him to do a set with just that kind of intimate setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody_Inferno View Post
    Being a guitarist in a power trio format is something we want all guitarists to go through, since there's little to no backing you get to hear the instrument in it's full glory. Andy Timmons has shown that it's awesome, and Vai's own Alien Love Secrets is a favorite for some for that reason.
    Agreed. In that vein, Petrucci live on his G3 tour supporting Suspended Animation shows why that doesn't work when your album has lots of layers. Every time JP would start shredding, the bottom end would disappear because he had no rhythm guitarist. His lead tone being icepick-treble-heavy didn't help things, to the extent that Drew and I literally had to walk out of the stage area to the bar (which was a separate room) to get away from his tone.

As far as this Vai tune, my only sniggle is that it doesn't really sound like a cohesive arrangement the way, for example, a song like Bad Horsie does. This just sounds like Vai noodling over a really simple backing track.

ME: Ibanez JEM7V/SZ
    MA: Breedlove
    MB: Warwick
    Rig: Axe-FX III

Vai can do no wrong in my book.

His streaming during the quarantine were really great. I didn’t watch all the Alien Guitar Secrets streams, but the Under It All’s were really excellent and it’s rare that you have an artist go that far in depth in regards to spiritually. It was remarkably inclusive and his comments on politics I really found helpful. Lots of funny stories throughout the streams as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Agreed. In that vein, Petrucci live on his G3 tour supporting Suspended Animation shows why that doesn't work when your album has lots of layers. Every time JP would start shredding, the bottom end would disappear because he had no rhythm guitarist. His lead tone being icepick-treble-heavy didn't help things, to the extent that Drew and I literally had to walk out of the stage area to the bar (which was a separate room) to get away from his tone.

As far as this Vai tune, my only sniggle is that it doesn't really sound like a cohesive arrangement the way, for example, a song like Bad Horsie does. This just sounds like Vai noodling over a really simple backing track.
    Which venue was that? I saw the 2001 G3 tour at the Bank of America Pavillion but that was pre-solo album, IIRR. It was Petrucci, Vai and Satch. Vai threw a bitch-fit onstage when his Sustainer was fucking up during the intro of “Whispering A Prayer”, pulled the guitar off his neck and dropped it flat on the stage, volume full up, then walked away like a primadonna.

I came to realize as of late that Petrucci is 3/4’s the reason you can barely hear Myung on DT records. I don’t think Petrucci is as concerned with getting a guitar tone that works with the bass as much as he is making “chocolate cake” tones.
    Perfection is the enemy of progress.

ME: EBMM JP 13
    MA: Yamaha Classical Guitar
    Rig: Mark V w/ 2x12 V-30 Cab

Vai said he's trying to work on that album that all guitarist want to hear.
    He said it would be a straight-up guitar record.

This song is cool nothing mind-blowing besides the technique and doing those wild bends that sound almost "out-of-tune."
    If anyone has any prayer requests, need to talk, or have questions about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
    Feel free to message me.

God Bless, Venator

Instagram: hrouthe

Actually they just sound plain old out of tune but it's Vai so he gets a pass. They still sound shitty though.