Apparently In Flames re-recorded Clayman... - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Apparently In Flames re-recorded Clayman...

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

I love In Flames. Not so much these days because they have way too many synths all over everything now, but I listened to them a ton for a long time.

This re-record sounds like something the Sneap forum would put out. It's well produced, but they polished off everything that made the original great. No thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

The thing that shocked me most about this is the amount of people who apparently thought Clayman was one of the good In Flames album.

Clayman is for bro metal fans of In Flames. It has one good track, other than that it's already going in the direction that people would later bemoan they went in.

Even Colony was starting to drift away from their really good sound, but at least Colony still has some fucking awesome tracks.

If you're the kind of person who says, "Man, new In Flames desecrated old In Flames......by doing a modern reworking off a track off Clayman!", I seriously doubt your taste.

That's like if you got people all worked up with, "Can you believe they have the audacity to reboot Escape From New York!?!", and only later specified they aren't actually rebooting Escape From New York, you are outraged over the fact they are rebooting the much shittier sequel, Escape From LA.

I thought you were going to mention a track off Whoracle or The Jester Race there for a second, you had me worried.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    The thing that shocked me most about this is the amount of people who apparently thought Clayman was one of the good In Flames album.
    Clayman is a great album and you're doing that thing where you act like a poser by saying "the older stuff is better" just because it's older. This same behavior lead you to a pristine patch jacket populated entirely by Hot Topic and Etsy.

This video has the wrong album art behind it, but this is a quintessential In Flames tune. Great riffs, the maiden-y harmonies they always do, fantastic drumming and (blissfully) almost zero synths.

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    If you're the kind of person who says, "Man, new In Flames desecrated old In Flames......by doing a modern reworking off a track off Clayman!", I seriously doubt your taste.
    I'm not sure I'd consider you an authority on good taste - so I'm not too worried about that.

I do think Whoracle is their highest point, but Clayman is still on the list of good In Flames albums and I like it better than Colony. It's still based on the same formula as the earlier albums, dual guitar harmonies, guitar solos, tight playing. Reroute to Remain was much looser sounding, had more chugging, whiny Anders clean vocals and synths. Even that album still has its moments, but at that point they started getting progressively worse.
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

ME: Les Paul
    Rig: Kemper-STL plugins

Quote Originally Posted by mpexus View Post
    Guitars sound super dull on new version... in fact they sound like most of guitars nowadays, almost like the amps have a blanket on top... there's no grit just smooth distortion.
    Yes! Thats what I was saying about modern mixes in a different thread. They all sound dull on most speakers except for earbuds. Its like the sound engineers take away the harsh highs just for earbud listeners.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    I'm not sure I'd consider you an authority on good taste - so I'm not too worried about that.

I do think Whoracle is their highest point, but Clayman is still on the list of good In Flames albums and I like it better than Colony. It's still based on the same formula as the earlier albums, dual guitar harmonies, guitar solos, tight playing. Reroute to Remain was much looser sounding, had more chugging, whiny Anders clean vocals and synths. Even that album still has its moments, but at that point they started getting progressively worse.
    I won't say that they got worse, but they definitely went in a direction I don't care for. I think Reroute to Remain was the last one I really got into. The next two had a couple of great tunes and good moments but the synth-metal direction they started down just didn't do it for me.

RTR has some asskickers on it though, Trigger, Cloud Connected, etc. It's actually the album that got me into them, because XM radio used to play Cloud Connected all the time. And despite having plenty of synths, CC is still a great tune because it's tastefully done and fits their sound. You have to like a band that can write a great chorus, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Clayman is a great album and you're doing that thing where you act like a poser by saying "the older stuff is better" just because it's older. This same behavior lead you to a pristine patch jacket populated entirely by Hot Topic and Etsy.
    Clayman is In Flames Black Album.

Clayman is at least like, 25-30 BPM slower per song than their best stuff. It's the quintessential "trying to appeal to a broader audience by making things more mid tempo point in our career" type album.