Most cringeworthy depictions of guitars in other media (film/video games/letc.)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most cringeworthy depictions of guitars in other media (film/video games/letc.)

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Most cringeworthy depictions of guitars in other media (film/video games/letc.)

So I guess DC Comics has a new "Death Metal" themed line or something, and there is artwork of super hero playing guitars.. These covers aren't actually particularly cringe worthy. I didn't know Batman was a Bass VI guy, but I'll go with it. I'm not sure what the fuck Wonder Woman is doing with that zither/harp thing, or why it has three outputs. Neither of these is that convincingly "badass" more in the "didn't even consult someone who knows how guitars work" category, but whatever, I've seen worse. So let's think tank here. What's the worst/most cringe worthy/most inaccurate depiction of guitar in other media you've seen? Movies/video games/visual art/whatever

Spoiler

For me it's not not even a question. This scene kills me every time.

It actually kind of picks up at 50 seconds to "Late 80s Judas Priest B Side" territory with the stereo chorus getting engaged.

Then just when you think it might have some redeeming qualities (if you're willing to look past the terrible syncing) he just does a fucking line drive on his 1x8 practice amp.

Even ignoring the fact that the entire premise is ridiculously cringe worthy. (yeah, I know the guy died filming it, no offense to the dude, that's terrible and sad, still was a terrible movie) Even if we consider it subjective if his music or attitude is "badass rock", who the fuck brings a 1x8 to the rooftops to let the city know he is about to rain vengeance down upon them?

"Shit, I'm back from the dead and here to fuck up the guys that killed me, better bring my 1x8 practice amp to the roof to let the whole city know. They'll know I'm serious when I wash my tone out with stereo chorus."

The weak ass vibrato in the beginning kills me too. If I'm a bad dude who is about to have vengeance wreaked upon me by some "rock star" returned from the grave, at least they can have wide vibrato.

The vibrato towards the end of the first section gets a little better, but come on dude, you came back from the dead. That is weak as fuck. At least give it a semi pinch harmonic.

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: RG3XXVLB
    MA: Alvarez FDT243C
    MB: Spector Euro4LXStarr
    Rig: AmpegSVT-II Pro + 810CL

that movie is a cult classic, how dare thee say it's a terrible movie :P. It's a pretty kick ass movie actually, even if that scene is cringeworthy. It's a movie, you gotta take some audience interpretation :P He's expressing his rage for he and his loved ones untimely demise at the hand of thugs who he then exacts his revenge on.

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

The comic book was perfection. The movie had it's moments, and the lighting, costume design, cinematography, etc. definitely gave it a very distinct look obviously accompanied by the mystique of Brandon Lee dying and the tragedy surrounding the comic book story and Bruce Lee, etc. So as a time capsule, it's definitely got it's appeal but it still isn't the same today and it didn't have the same energy as the source material.

Worse adaptation was the Mask, though. That comic was fucking awesome.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    The comic book was perfection. The movie had it's moments, and the lighting, costume design, cinematography, etc. definitely gave it a very distinct look obviously accompanied by the mystique of Brandon Lee dying and the tragedy surrounding the comic book story and Bruce Lee, etc. So as a time capsule, it's definitely got it's appeal but it still isn't the same today and it didn't have the same energy as the source material.
    The comments on that video rule. I highly suggest reading them before you hit play. It's non-stop comedy gold.

I'm a fan of some "goth" stuff. I'm not a dude who wears makeup and vinyl onesies and bedazzled goth platform boots, but I'm a big fan of Fields of the Nephilim, I like SoM too, I have Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines 2 preorded.

The hyperbolic descriptions for how good that movie is kill me though, it hasn't aged well either,

"this is really original, it's not every day you see a film that has a guitar solo to capture the pain and loneliness , then it picks up sort of angrily to get reminded of the pain and revenge, and then it just goes crazy...complete unrest, distraught, just dead but living, complete rancor."

"This guitar solo holds so much emotional feeling from sadness to grief and anger and pain. One of the most gutwrentching. Guitar solos ever."

"This part of the movie shows you when he turns into the Crow...if he played like that while he was alive he maybe could've gotten outta there. But since he died, his expression in music is so much more, he throws HIS instrument away...thus giving him a part of his soul back."

"The only man to play guitar and have pain, anger, and sorrow come with it in one minute. Damn, if you can't feel it then your not human."

Consider me not human youtube comment section.

ME: DC727
    MB: SR505

Those covers have a real Mad Max vibe, I actually like them

I want to post the audio from that solo without telling people it's from their favorite badly aged awkward 90s goth action movie and see if they say the same things.

Like, "been working on this solo for years, check it out, would like some feedback".

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Who recorded the original audio to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Connor View Post
    Those covers have a real Mad Max vibe, I actually like them
    Fury Road is the opposite of cringe worthy unrealistic electric guitar portrayals in media though, considering Doof Warriors guitar was actually playable.

Most of the world building and props in shit in Fury Road are actually amazing from the perspective of, "Well, that looks wildly impractical, like a prop just designed to look cool". But when you look closer it's like, "well, if the world went to shit and you had to macguyver an electric guitar, it's actually not that far off".

The Doof Warrior guitar is also legendary for being built out of a bedpan. Thus subverting the whole "that is impractically cool looking, something that would only happen in hollywood". No one is like, "better build an impractically cool looking post apocalyptic guitar, bring me something old people piss in".