Max Ostro. Have you guys seen this kid? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Max Ostro. Have you guys seen this kid?

ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

Very good!

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson SLATXMG7FR
    MA: Takamine G335 12-String
    MB: Ibanez SR-405
    Rig: Peavey 6505+

The last part of the vid Chris posted made me think "Holy shit this kid is the son of Buckethead or something." On top of the clean playing he's no one trick pony either which is pretty refreshing for a younger dude.

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH

Quote Originally Posted by HamBungler View Post
    The last part of the vid Chris posted made me think "Holy shit this kid is the son of Buckethead or something." On top of the clean playing he's no one trick pony either which is pretty refreshing for a younger dude.
    I thought the same thing, this video is awesome as well... showing him play so much great material.

Quote Originally Posted by schreckmusic View Post
    But something about his sloppy alternate picking drives me nuts
    Is it his "sloppy picking" Bro...... really... you sure about that? I sense some competitive nature going on

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    When the Stranger Things kid is shredding at the Shrapnel Records level, you know the gig's up.
    So much this!! lol
    Vag Jackson, Man Of Action

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Les Paul
    Rig: Kemper-STL plugins

Quote Originally Posted by bigdave View Post

Is it his "sloppy picking" Bro...... really... you sure about that? I sense some competitive nature going on
    Maybe sloppy isn't the right description. IMHO the picking angle sounds seriously off, it scrapes the entire time when alternate picking. You already know I am fucking crazy. I am talking shit because at his age I was struggling to learn Slayer songs. Hell, even now I struggle with playing anything.

ME: Washburn N7
    Rig: Peavey 5150

I pretty sure he is going for that technique.check out him playing Scarified.
    https://youtu.be/M7dpkB2Hg18

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Actually, PG and Malmsteen both use that technique and it IS sloppy. Not saying it's bad or they're bad, it's part of how they do their 'hyperspeed' sound but if you watch the Troy Grady video on Malmsteen, he slurs/economy picks some string changes during fast alternate picked runs.

The kid is phenomonal both technically and as far as his flavor, but I agree with Schrenk that you can hear the weird picking pattern on fast runs, and he's pretty much constantly PLAYING fast runs, so you can't unhear it.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH

Quote Originally Posted by schreckmusic View Post
    Maybe sloppy isn't the right description. IMHO the picking angle sounds seriously off, it scrapes the entire time when alternate picking. You already know I am fucking crazy. I am talking shit because at his age I was struggling to learn Slayer songs. Hell, even now I struggle with playing anything.
    As old as I am and since my physical issues I have learned to just love the fact these kids even exist. At his age (15??) I thought my Dio and Iron Maiden riffs where the bomb lol

His hurdle wont be technical, it will be comeing up with his own thing and not another technique monster you dont remember writing the same unmemorable elevator music shredd like so many you see online these days. We shall see.

But holy crap can he rip Yngwie...

ME: Schecter Loomis
    MA: Ibanez classical
    MB: Ibanez SR400QM
    Rig: Fenders

Yes, just saw him a couple of weeks ago - just showed up in my YouTube recommendations. Amazing playing.