Petrucci and Portnoy together on new Petrucci Album - Terminal Velocity
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Petrucci and Portnoy together on new Petrucci Album - Terminal Velocity

Petrucci and Portnoy together on new Petrucci Album - Terminal Velocity

"John Petrucci, guitarist for progressive rock band Dream Theater, will release his first solo album in 15 years, Terminal Velocity, later this summer — and his former bandmate, Mike Portnoy, performed all of the drums."

“Having Mike play drums on this record was really special for me, and he did an absolutely incredible job navigating the various styles and technical challenges my music presented in the way that only he can do,” says Petrucci. “It was very cathartic for the both of us, I think, to be playing music together again after all these years, and it really felt great. Mike’s spirited, intuitive and energetic playing truly helped to elevate these new songs to a level that I couldn’t be happier with.”

"Like he did for its predecessor, Petrucci wrote and produced the all-instrumental Terminal Velocity and had Dave LaRue (Flying Colors, Dixie Dregs) rejoin him for bass duties. James “Jimmy T” Meslin handled recording, with Andy Sneap overseeing mixing and mastering. Although he had planned to start working on the album in the spring, the March stay-at-home directive that was issued in New York due to the outbreak of COVID-19 resulted in an unexpected boon of time for Petrucci: He created over half of Terminal Velocity’s nine songs while he was self-isolating."

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...FPPBH5wmUXqm0E

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Good to see.

Dream Theater has gone too far off the weird prog rails for me to really enjoy their music these days, but a new Petrucci solo record is right up my alley. The only downside I see here, weird as it is to say, is Sneap mixing/mastering it. Andy is a monster but everything he produces sounds exactly the same.

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Band disappeared up their own ass and so did Portnoy up until he left. His first few projects were snoozy bullshit, but he's gotten a LOT better the last few years. I'd take Sons of Apollo over the last whatever, three DT albums. I think this is what both these dudes needed.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

I'd been mostly blaming Rudess for the ridiculous turn their albums have taken, but wasn't JP responsible for that hilarious MMORPG style "concept album" they did?

In 2285, the northeastern region of the United States has turned into a dystopia ruled by the oppressive Great Northern Empire of the Americas. The only resemblance to entertainment that exists is the electronic noise of the Noise Machines (NOMACS). The empire is ruled by Emperor Nafaryus, Empress Arabelle, Crown Prince Daryus, and Princess Faythe. In a distant village called Ravenskill, a man named Gabriel possesses the natural ability to make music and sing ("The Gift of Music"). He has an older brother, Commander Arhys of the Ravenskill Rebel Militia, who has a son, Xander, with his deceased wife, Evangeline ("A Better Life").

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Petrucci basically is the band, at least on the writing and the branding. Even though Portnoy was basically the other 50% of the song writing and there was friction, it sounds like the ultimate final straw was that Portnoy did NOT want Labrie on vocals (which is why he subbed in so much of his awful vocals). I don't think anyone else cared one way or another but firing the singer is an uphill battle, especially when the other principal writer loses the thorn in his side by siding with the singer.

Petrucci absolutely needed to come back down to earth and perhaps having Portnoy (someone with as big of a head as him) is what he needs to stop this Narnia bullshit.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

ME: Robin Medley Special
    Rig: 6505~(some pedals)~Mesa

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    ... this Narnia bullshit.
    President - Reverse Headstock Lover's Club ©

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Petrucci basically is the band, at least on the writing and the branding. Even though Portnoy was basically the other 50% of the song writing and there was friction, it sounds like the ultimate final straw was that Portnoy did NOT want Labrie on vocals (which is why he subbed in so much of his awful vocals). I don't think anyone else cared one way or another but firing the singer is an uphill battle, especially when the other principal writer loses the thorn in his side by siding with the singer.

Petrucci absolutely needed to come back down to earth and perhaps having Portnoy (someone with as big of a head as him) is what he needs to stop this Narnia bullshit.
    This is probably why the Labrie solo albums w/Marco are 10x better than anything DT has done in forever.