Reverb increasing fee from 3.5% to 5%...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reverb increasing fee from 3.5% to 5%...

ME: LTD H7, KM6, 540SLTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

Reverb increasing fee from 3.5% to 5%...

To Our Community,

I’m writing to share upcoming changes that will enable us to significantly grow our marketplace so that we can help you reach even more buyers all over the world. Beginning on August 4, 2020, we are increasing our selling fee for the first time ever⁠— from 3.5 % to 5%.

When Reverb launched in 2013, the idea was simple—an online marketplace built specifically for the musical instrument community by a team of musicians. Our team thought about everything that we, as music makers, wanted in a site for selling gear and put it into Reverb: A live support team staffed with musicians, tailored tools to make things like price negotiation easier, a personalizable feed and useful content to help buyers find exactly what they want, and more.

Today, Reverb is the largest online marketplace dedicated to buying and selling musical instruments. In the past year alone, our community has achieved tremendous growth. More consumers are buying instruments than ever before, and players of all levels increasingly are buying gear online. As more buyers move online, we’ve heard you loud and clear: You want more support and more tools to help you get your gear in front of Reverb’s expanding audience of high-quality buyers and grow your sales.

We take the role that we play in supporting your business very seriously. Over the past seven years, our team has worked tirelessly to improve our marketplace to support your business and to find new ways to help you grow your sales. Now is the time to deepen our commitment to these efforts. We are modifying our selling fee to help us invest more to sustain our community’s continued growth. This year alone, we plan to increase our investment from 2019 by:

Investing over 30% more in marketing initiatives—including SEO, online video advertising, and other digital advertising—to get your inventory in front of more buyers from around the world.
    Expanding by more than 25% the capacity of our global customer support team focused on assisting you and your buyers as we grow.
    Increasing by more than 40% the capacity of our product team focused on creating and enhancing seller tools and services to increase the visibility of your shop and inventory.
    Our team comes to work each day to ensure the success of our sellers—our marketplace simply doesn’t exist without the independent shops, makers, artists, experts, and individuals that form our vibrant seller community. These changes will enable us to bring more buyers to Reverb on your behalf, support the long-term health of your online business, and continue growing together.

Sincerely,

David Mandelbrot

CEO, Reverb
    Always love when companies point out that since they're huge they should charge more...
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Pure greed. They were making a ton of money as it was. This also means eBay will be jacking up their musical instrument commission as well. This is on top of the fact several states started collecting sales tax on online sales in the last year. Yuck.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: LTD H7, KM6, 540SLTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

Yeah, I sold a few guitars online back in January and got killed by all the fees. Reverb nickel and dimes the snot outta ya already. And, they sent me a bill last week for $2.40 because the post office charged them more than they charged me when I shipped through them. It's only $2.40, but for all the money they make it felt uber tacky on their part. Granted, if that happens 50 times a day, that's a nice chunk of change every month, so I get it, but still doesn't mean it feels like a move from a "trusted business partner"...

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH

Wouldnt it potentually cost more than $2.40 to collect $2.40 ???
    Vag Jackson, Man Of Action

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

They gotta pay for that Google ad placement somehow...

ME: ESP/LTD DV8-R
    Rig: Kemper

Reverb is really doing everything it can to burn through whatever goodwill it had acquired in it's first few years. At this point eBay is coming back around to being the superior platform.
    C'mon son.

Hellevate

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

I'd be ok with this if their search wasn't god awful.

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Quote Originally Posted by thrashinbatman View Post
    Reverb is really doing everything it can to burn through whatever goodwill it had acquired in it's first few years. At this point eBay is coming back around to being the superior platform.
    They're owned by Etsy now, right? I think there was a glimmer that being a DIYer platform they'd maintain some support for small biz but obviously that 'small community of musicians' thing is dead. This is even more evil in the context of a lot of businesses that switch to online sales only for COVID.

I'm sure ebay will match the 5% soon enough but I will say, I still get consistently more views and traffic on my ebay listings than Reverb. I mean, yeah, Reverb is designed more based around how musicians buy/sell gear but ebay still has the traffic volume.