How did I not love BTBAM before? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 9 to 16 of 18

Thread: How did I not love BTBAM before?

  1. #9


    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: San Jose, CA
    ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

    iTrader: 16 (100%)

    They headlined a show I went to to see the opener; Devin Townsend (and I think Cynic was in the middle). I thought it was pretty terrible. It was like Mastodon, but most of the things I didn't like about Mastodon at the time, all at the same time

  2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements
     

  3. #10


    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Tokyo
    ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

    iTrader: 0

    Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    They headlined a show I went to to see the opener; Devin Townsend (and I think Cynic was in the middle). I thought it was pretty terrible. It was like Mastodon, but most of the things I didn't like about Mastodon at the time, all at the same time
    That makes sense. Since I hate Mastodon, but love Between the Buried and Me. It might be that everything you like about Mastodon, I dislike. And everything I like about BTBAM, you dislike.

    (I love Devin Townsend and Cynic, so we might have that in common, though)

  4. #11


    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: San Jose, CA
    ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

    iTrader: 16 (100%)

    I enjoyed Cynic, but it was very "yoga-core," and they really should have gone on first.

    Like the time I saw King's X.... who had to follow Fishbone . The entire crowd and I were so tired from being funked to death that we collectively had no energy left to really get into King's X, though they were completely awesome.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements
     

  6. #12


    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Tokyo
    ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

    iTrader: 0

    Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    I enjoyed Cynic, but it was very "yoga-core," and they really should have gone on first.

    Like the time I saw King's X.... who had to follow Fishbone . The entire crowd and I were so tired from being funked to death that we collectively had no energy left to really get into King's X, though they were completely awesome.
    Cynic's 1993 debut album is technical death metal, but their albums since they reformed in 2008 have been more progressive metal or even progressive rock. Their last two albums, Carbon-Based Anatomy and Kindly Bent to Free Us, are like ambient progressive rock, so definitely not fitting in as well with Devin Townsend (at least his more metal albums) and BTBAM as their debut album (or even their debut album and 2008 album).

  7. #13


    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: San Jose, CA
    ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

    iTrader: 16 (100%)

    Here it was, 2010:
    https://www.concertarchives.org/conc...ale-the-summit

    Oh yeah! Summit The Scales was there, too

  8. #14


    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Tokyo
    ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

    iTrader: 0

    Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Here it was, 2010:
    https://www.concertarchives.org/conc...ale-the-summit

    Oh yeah! Summit The Scales was there, too
    Yeah, only 1 song off their debut. All the other songs are off of their 2008 album (which is a good album), except for 1 off of a 2010 EP. Makes sense that it would be more chill than the other bands (though not as chill as I imagined).

  9. #15


    Join Date: Jan 2009
    Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    ME: Ibanez JEM7V/SZ
    MA: Breedlove
    MB: Warwick
    Rig: Axe-FX III

    iTrader: 1 (100%)

    Right now I’m stuck on Coma Ecliptic but I’m looking forward to diving into more.

    Naren, I also checked out The Contortionist some more and am digging the majority of Clairvoyant. Maybe I was expecting more at the show, but I’m digging the album!

    I caught that Devin Townsend/STS/Cynic tour, I remember leaving a little underwhelmed with STS and Cynic, but STS kind of playing isn’t my thing and I’d probably have dug Cynic more had I known their music previous to the show. Devin was awesome, as always.
    Perfection is the enemy of progress.

  10. #16


    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Tokyo
    ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

    iTrader: 0

    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Drucifer View Post
    Right now I’m stuck on Coma Ecliptic but I’m looking forward to diving into more.
    Although I mentioned that Colors is probably my favorite album by them (the Colors live DVD is superb too), it's also probably the album that you'll find recommended more than any other among BTBAM fans. Their style changed the most in the first 4 albums, but I feel has changed only more minutely over the past 5 albums.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Drucifer View Post
    Naren, I also checked out The Contortionist some more and am digging the majority of Clairvoyant. Maybe I was expecting more at the show, but I’m digging the album!
    Clairvoyant is definitely their most chill and least heavy album, but it's still really good (Reimagined is probably my favorite song off of it). Did you check out Language? That's the album before Clairvoyant. It's my personal fave probably because it's kind of a blend of the heavier style of the earlier albums and the more chill feel of Clairvoyant.

Tags for this Thread


Fractal Audio Systems  Shred Training  Angel Vivaldi
Bowes Guitarworks  NumbSkull Audio Production



VigLink badge