30th Anniversary from hell!!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 30th Anniversary from hell!!!

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

Yeah, the tough guy bullshit got old pretty fast. I like about a handful songs from them, but think they would have been a far better band with another singer (and someone who could write lyrics about something else than how tough they think they are).
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Waghorn
    Rig: Mesa/Boogie Mark III

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I agree. As a kid, I didn't really fully comprehend the impact of racism and the consequences of racist actions like Anselmo's. (I think most kids don't understand it, really, it's just life.) As an adult, I want nothing to do with him or this band. Tough guy metal with a vocalist who fires off nazi salutes just isn't something I'm interested in. I loved this album back in the day, but I'm definitely not a Pantera fan anymore. It's just not for me.

Keep in mind he was also screaming "White Power" at the top of his lungs while firing those salutes off. I just don't give a single fuck about anything this asshole is involved with. I'll stick to cool riffs and songs about chicks, vikings, satan or how metal the band is. And rainbows, of course.
    I definitely think that was really really stupid of him, but I don't think I should burn all Pantera albums. It doesn't change anything about those albums. If for example ...And justice for all was written by hitler himself, it would still be my favourite album of all time. I'm sure a lot of my favourite musicians are all douchebags but I'm mostly just a fan of the music not the people writing the music.

Oh and:

Look what Newsted does around the 0:16 mark. Stupid, but I wouldn't call him a racist because of that.
    http://www.facebook.com/vermivoreband

My thrashy death metal band.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

The tough guy poser BS that Anselmo did was laughable even at the time. I found Pantera unlistenable because of him. The sad thing is that he really was a very good singer back then when he wanted to be.

Other than him, CFH is a damned good album.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Quote Originally Posted by Jarowskij View Post
    Look what Newsted does around the 0:16 mark. Stupid, but I wouldn't call him a racist because of that.
    Phil fired off a half dozen nazi salutes, and followed it up by screaming "White power" at the top of his lungs dude. That's not something misconstrued or misinterpreted. It doesn't get any more cut and dry than that.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by bigdave View Post
    Some hasnt aged well and some has. As for the rest, I dont drag politics or current social relevancy into heavy metal, I mean how many bands are models of virtue anyway? The ones that are suck ass for popcicles. How many blues guys where down in the dirt scumbags who screwed people over and where shitty people? Do we shit on them by proxy as well? I mean those hard drinking hard loving guys most likley where not angels either. How about a list of bands that dont offend anyone, that would be boring as hell wouldnt it.
    Eh, "politics" is whether you think stimulus spending or tax cuts are a more effective way of addressing a recession, if we should raise gas taxes to pay for a bridge or build a toll bridge instead (or not build a new high school), or whether a certain block should be zoned commercial or mixed-use. White supremacy isn't politics. We've fought - and won - a couple wars over the right to tell white power assholes to go fuck themselves, I think it's gonna take more than an album or two for us to have a change of heart here on whether white people are better than brown or black people.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post

Eh, "politics" is whether you think stimulus spending or tax cuts are a more effective way of addressing a recession, if we should raise gas taxes to pay for a bridge or build a toll bridge instead (or not build a new high school), or whether a certain block should be zoned commercial or mixed-use. White supremacy isn't politics. We've fought - and won - a couple wars over the right to tell white power assholes to go fuck themselves, I think it's gonna take more than an album or two for us to have a change of heart here on whether white people are better than brown or black people.
    White supremacy is an ideology. Attempting to use government to put white supremacist ideas into practice would be politics.

Wars are simply one form of politics.

Ideologies are a secular form of religion. Or, perhaps, religions are a superstitious form of politics. The difference can be tough to discern.

Phil Anselmo, to the degree his scrambled brain adheres to any set of beliefs, would be a particularly ineffective political advocate for white supremacy. If that dope is representative of the "master race", then no one else has anything to worry about.

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    Phil Anselmo, to the degree his scrambled brain adheres to any set of beliefs, would be a particularly ineffective political advocate for white supremacy. If that dope is representative of the "master race", then no one else has anything to worry about.
    It's par for the course though. There's a subreddit devoted entirely to glorious specimens of superiority.

https://www.reddit.com/r/beholdthemasterrace/

Racial supremacists often try to attach themselves to the reflected glory of great and powerful individuals, to which they bear no objective resemblance. The white supremacist denizen of the trailer park considers himself the heir of Plato, Mozart and Edison. The black supremacist considers himself the heir of the Egyptian pharaohs or the kings of Timbuktu. The Latino supremacist will proudly proclaim himself the heir to the Aztec aristocrats.

Phil Anselmo, by contrast, bathes in the reflected glory of that guy from Exhorder, doesn't he?