30th Anniversary from hell!!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 30th Anniversary from hell!!!

30th Anniversary from hell!!!

30 years... and it seems like fucking yesterday...

The album was released on July 24, 1990 and was available on tape, CD, vinyl and a Limited Edition version (same album but in a long box). The album would become the band's breakthrough record as it became their first album to chart in 1992, reaching #27 on the Billboard Music Charts Top Heatseekers. In March 1995 the album entered the Swedish Charts for one week managing to peak at #46. The album has since gone on to attain both Gold (500,000 units) and Platinum (1,000,000 units) certifications in the U.S. as well as Gold status in the U.K. for sales of 100,000.

It's a Landmark in Metal and no one can deny it. Their next made a huge turnaround in Metal production that lasts until today, but this was the pavement of what was to come.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

So many awesome songs. When I think of my favorite Pantera album, it's usually between Cowboys from Hell and Vulgar Display of Power.

Quote Originally Posted by Naren View Post
    So many awesome songs. When I think of my favorite Pantera album, it's usually between Cowboys from Hell and Vulgar Display of Power.
    Yeah

I remember very well the first time I heard Cowboys from Hell.

I was at a small but famous and packed full weekends Metal Club. That Intro was something that made me look at the DJ Booth and then I was like WTF is this???? I didn't' knew what or who it was until much later.. and sadly passed the opportunity to see them live in support of Judas Priest Painkiller tour.

Saw them years later on a show with just them. It was a very short listed show and I was expecting more songs and more time. Still it was great... fuck I miss my younger days

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Gibson
    MA: Fred Welker
    MB: Jazz
    Rig: ENGL/Fender/Marshall

Still probably the best Pantera song ever.

The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No.” ― Alan Moore

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Gotta say, though, while I'm sure this will NOT be a popular opinion in this thread, their brand of "tough guy" metal hasn't aged particularly well, and these days Anselmo's hardly doing them any favors.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Gotta say, though, while I'm sure this will NOT be a popular opinion in this thread, their brand of "tough guy" metal hasn't aged particularly well, and these days Anselmo's hardly doing them any favors.
    Some hasnt aged well and some has. As for the rest, I dont drag politics or current social relevancy into heavy metal, I mean how many bands are models of virtue anyway? The ones that are suck ass for popcicles. How many blues guys where down in the dirt scumbags who screwed people over and where shitty people? Do we shit on them by proxy as well? I mean those hard drinking hard loving guys most likley where not angels either. How about a list of bands that dont offend anyone, that would be boring as hell wouldnt it.
    Vag Jackson, Man Of Action

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

I think it's aged really well. Cemetery Gates, Hollow, Domination, Mouth for War, and A New Level sound just as good today as they did in the early 90s, in my opinion.

I think Pantera has aged WAY better than any 80s hair metal band (which Pantera started out as), and I'm a fan of a lot of those bands too.

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

I agree. As a kid, I didn't really fully comprehend the impact of racism and the consequences of racist actions like Anselmo's. (I think most kids don't understand it, really, it's just life.) As an adult, I want nothing to do with him or this band. Tough guy metal with a vocalist who fires off nazi salutes just isn't something I'm interested in. I loved this album back in the day, but I'm definitely not a Pantera fan anymore. It's just not for me.

Keep in mind he was also screaming "White Power" at the top of his lungs while firing those salutes off. I just don't give a single fuck about anything this asshole is involved with. I'll stick to cool riffs and songs about chicks, vikings, satan or how metal the band is. And rainbows, of course.