George Lynch, shitting on some of his finest work.. - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: George Lynch, shitting on some of his finest work..

ME: Kramer Baretta
    MA: PRS Angelus Alex Lifeson

Last edited by lespauled; 07-27-2020 at 10:27 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez JEM7V/SZ
    MA: Breedlove
    MB: Warwick
    Rig: Axe-FX III

I never understood all the love for Lynch either. My first introduction to him was the Hear N Aid “We’re Stars” documentary when I was like 14 in the mid-90’s. I borrowed some of my uncle’s Dokken cassettes and figured if I was into Ryche, I’d definitely dig these guys but that was far from the case. Then once YouTube came to fruition I started checking out more of his stuff, mainly his clinics or live shows and I still don’t get it. I’ve never heard him play anything that’s been stuck in my head.

It might have been that “We’re Stars” vid that completely ruined anything regarding Dokken for me. Seeing Don Dokken on there barely hanging with the heavyweights around him didn’t give them the best start with me. Then I saw the current version of Dokken open for Ryche four years ago and it was easily the worst national act I have ever seen live. I honestly feel bad for Don as he has to know how bad he is, but I assume financial issues are keeping the 67 year old guy out there embarrassing himself night after night.
    Perfection is the enemy of progress.

ME: PRS SEs
    MB: Squier Deluxe Active Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk3 Blu/Torpedo Live

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Drucifer View Post
    I never understood all the love for Lynch either. My first introduction to him was the Hear N Aid “We’re Stars” documentary when I was like 14 in the mid-90’s. I borrowed some of my uncle’s Dokken cassettes and figured if I was into Ryche, I’d definitely dig these guys but that was far from the case. Then once YouTube came to fruition I started checking out more of his stuff, mainly his clinics or live shows and I still don’t get it. I’ve never heard him play anything that’s been stuck in my head.

It might have been that “We’re Stars” vid that completely ruined anything regarding Dokken for me. Seeing Don Dokken on there barely hanging with the heavyweights around him didn’t give them the best start with me. Then I saw the current version of Dokken open for Ryche four years ago and it was easily the worst national act I have ever seen live. I honestly feel bad for Don as he has to know how bad he is, but I assume financial issues are keeping the 67 year old guy out there embarrassing himself night after night.
    Off topic-ish, but I guess it's a Dick Dale situation. The dude looks worse and worse on stage, and I really think he HAS to gig to pay the bills. I think it was last year he had spinal surgery that nearly caused permanent damage.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Drucifer View Post

One of my favorite Lynch solos is, ironically, not on a Lynch album - his lead on Tony Macalpine's "Tears of Sahara." Lynch's solos are first and 3rd, starting around 1:55 or so. In particular, that first one. It's a great tune anyway, but that lead break just exudes feel.

"They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

I can take or leave Lynch's leads, the biggest appeal to me (other than his killer taste in gear) are the RIFFS. Seriously. Everyone talks about the 80s and they shoot straight to the solos, but it was basically split between the lead guys (Malmsteen, Vai) and riff guys (Lynch, DeMartini). Then you have guys like EVH that straddle both lines, and you also HAVE elaborate solos in most 80s songs, but it still mostly falls on one side or the other.

Those classic Dokken tracks and Wicked Sensation, for me, are 1000% about riffs.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Also, when you talk about "tone in the fingers" and a signature sound, of course people jump to lead playing again but Lynch has the slurred, barred and distinct vibratoed notes in his riffs (like the "Wicked Sensation" main riff) that give it that stanky blues sound.

ME: PRS SEs
    MB: Squier Deluxe Active Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk3 Blu/Torpedo Live

ME: Ibanez 540P
    MA: Ovation Celebrity CS257
    MB: Ibanez SRX2EX1
    Rig: BIAS FX

Babe Ruth, pointing to the bleachers..

And he’s gonna do another “reimagined” album with Jeff Pilson?