2hr Bob Rock interview - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2hr Bob Rock interview

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by thrashinbatman View Post
    God, TBA was a Mark III? Every day my desire to sell the JP2C and get a Mark III increases.
    You can get 99% of the way to a Mark III no stripe with what you have in IIc+ mode. As Leon said, the no stripe III is just a IIc+ with a different transformer. Considering the vast majority of existing IIc+ amps have had their transformer replaced, it’s not like there are any practical differences at this point.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

"Let me tell you all about the time I ruined Metallica."

ME: ESP MI Custom
    MB: Fender Jazz custom
    Rig: Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by Svend View Post
    "Let me tell you all about the time I ruined Metallica."
    Nah, they didn't talk about Load.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: EBMM JP 13
    MA: Yamaha Classical Guitar
    Rig: Mark V w/ 2x12 V-30 Cab

Quote Originally Posted by thrashinbatman View Post
    God, TBA was a Mark III? Every day my desire to sell the JP2C and get a Mark III increases.
    Did you know that Whitesnake's 1987 Record was recorded with two slaved Mesa Boogie Colosseum Mark 3's with a Chorus between them?

If anyone has any prayer requests, need to talk, or have questions about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
    Feel free to message me.

God Bless, Venator

Instagram: hrouthe

ME: PRS SEs
    MB: Squier Deluxe Active Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk3 Blu/Torpedo Live

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    Did you know that Whitesnake's 1987 Record was recorded with two slaved Mesa Boogie Colosseum Mark 3's with a Chorus between them?

That's pretty much THE album everyone brings up when people talk about the Mark 3.

These aren't brought up as much, but Lights Camera Revolution and Persistence of Time (Dan Spitz was a Mesa guy) were done with a 3 as well.

ME: ESP MI Custom
    MB: Fender Jazz custom

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post

That was also Bob Rock, he talks about in the video. He was working in the same studio and they were struggling to get a sound, they asked him to come over and he got it within about 30 minutes. He describes the slaving with chorus in there as his go to for single guitar, it's something he did with Motley.

ME: ESP/LTD DV8-R

So is Victims of Deception and Evolution of Chaos by Heathen. The new one is apparently a IV. This thread is doing a really bad job of quelling my GAS. Obviously I can get III tones out of the 2C, but the thought of getting the sounds in a box that costs half as much, and using the funds to get another nice amp is really tempting. The 2C is really lucky that I like it a lot.
    C'mon son.

Hellevate

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

The point about gear choices over EQ is valid...to a point. If you have a Bob Rock budget, it's fine to record 10 different amps and spends eons monkeying around with mic positioning. However, if the problem being solved is simply to carve out space for the bass at 500hz and the vocals at 1k, well, the channel EQ does that just fine as long as the tone is in the neighborhood.

The larger point is that there is no amount of EQ that can save a shitty guitar sound.