2hr Bob Rock interview - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2hr Bob Rock interview

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Quote Originally Posted by Lozek View Post
    And hired a marketing team to shill his sophisticated neural network algorithm, perceiving sound akin to human perception, making it the most natural-sounding capture solution on the planet.
    Truth. The purest distillation.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Most likely - It was/is Bob Rocks, given that he had such a success with John Sykes tone previously and he talks extensively here about collecting/cycling through amps to find 'the one'.
    This seems likely to me. Big name producers often have specific amps they know very well that they'll use in every session. Didn't that one modded Marshall from SIR make the rounds of every hair band album from the Eighties?

Since they recorded a zillion amps, I don't see why the 2 and 3 couldn't both be in there somewhere. Seems like overkill to me, since they were so similar in design, but there you go. Why not just go and spend ALL of Elektra's money looking for a specific guitar tone...

ME: ESP MI Custom
    MB: Fender Jazz custom
    Rig: Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    This seems likely to me. Big name producers often have specific amps they know very well that they'll use in every session. Didn't that one modded Marshall from SIR make the rounds of every hair band album from the Eighties?

Since they recorded a zillion amps, I don't see why the 2 and 3 couldn't both be in there somewhere. Seems like overkill to me, since they were so similar in design, but there you go. Why not just go and spend ALL of Elektra's money looking for a specific guitar tone...

I think that's the GnR JCM800 that Slash tried to 'lose and replace with another one'.

Most big producers (of the era where it was big money) watched guitar players wheeling in a ton of stuff, knowing full well that it wouldn't end up on the record that they were responsible for.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Why does it have to be owned by Hetfield...
    You’re basing your entire belief that a Mark III was used on a single comment/recollection 30 years after the fact in contradiction of all video evidence and interviews to the contrary?

The irony here is you’re asking “why did it have to be owned by Hetfield” and placing all of your faith in a magic bullet theory, when it was Bob Rock during the exact same interview your entire belief is based upon that answers you...he stated that it was Hetfield’s amp/rack that James brought in that was used. So now you think he’s wrong? 😉

I think this dude signed up just to argue with Lozek.

That's the stuff MVP is made of, keep it up.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

ME: Ibanez JEM7V/SZ
    MA: Breedlove
    MB: Warwick
    Rig: Axe-FX III

You guys are all wrong. Engage has Hetfield’s MKII+.III.IV inside his mother’s storage locker and he only let Bob Rock hear it for a 10 seconds while the tubes were warming up, which became the foundation of TBA toan.

On a serious note, someone said on the Fractal forum the other day that Hetfield and Hammett were really secretive of their gear, to which I responded with- I don’t think they’re secretive, I just don’t think they know the specifics. They can tell ya, “I know I had a Boogie head, I used my ESP’s...a ton of mics, I think my ADA was in there somewhere.”, and that’s about it. Sure, they have input on what tone their using, but all those specifics have been left up to engineers and techs for years now. And that’s not even getting into the mixing phase where shit gets EQ’d to hell and back.

There’s some proof of that on the Year And A Half Of tape when Hammett is recording “The Unforgiven” solo and he asks Bob to use a different sound and Bob says “Sure, use your regular sound. I don’t give a fuck, I’m going to send it through an amp later anyway and I don’t want to dick around with sounds all day.”

It seems so few of the pros get wrapped up in that stuff. Devin Townsend can probably tell you everything that went into getting his tones over multiple albums because he was heavy handed in the mixing phase and he’s a geek like that. Vai can most definitely tell you every pre-amp and EQ he runs his guitar through, but won’t be able to tell you the model number of the JEM he used, which version of what pedal he used or if it was modified or not.
    Perfection is the enemy of progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Drucifer View Post
    There’s some proof of that on the Year And A Half Of tape when Hammett is recording “The Unforgiven” solo and he asks Bob to use a different sound and Bob says “Sure, use your regular sound. I don’t give a fuck, I’m going to send it through an amp later anyway and I don’t want to dick around with sounds all day.”
    This is the right way to do it IMO. Everyone plays better with "their" sound in the room. The lead tone that I use in a mix isn't nearly as fun/full of gain and stupidity as the sound I hear in the room when I'm playing it. Same goes w/the rhythm tone. Using your own sounds helps you stay loose and relaxed, which is where good music comes from. Nobody sounds good when they're trying to be a sterile robot who just plays notes in order. That's why djent has no balls.