2hr Bob Rock interview
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2hr Bob Rock interview

ME: ESP MI Custom
    MB: Fender Jazz custom
    Rig: Kemper

2hr Bob Rock interview

Very long and interesting chat, he addresses obviously the Black album sounds, the St Anger snare as well as Motley and a bunch of other stuff. Some really intersting stuff regarding Hetfield on the Black Album:

Heavy Sound
    Mark III with an ADA graphic in the loop
    Jose modded Marshall blended in for mids
    Marshall cabinets mic'd with 57/421 and the secret ingredient was a U87 room positioned in exactly the right spot to capture the 300/400 beef that is Hetfields signature

Clean Sound
    Jazz Chorus with EVL speakers and an AMS chorus, blended with DI

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Yeah I saw that one Live, too bad the connection wasn't the best.

This one is more "Pro" made and I found also super super interesting, there's Black Album in there too

ME: ESP/LTD DV8-R

God, TBA was a Mark III? Every day my desire to sell the JP2C and get a Mark III increases.
    C'mon son.

Hellevate

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

Quote Originally Posted by thrashinbatman View Post
    God, TBA was a Mark III? Every day my desire to sell the JP2C and get a Mark III increases.
    I think the III is basically the IIC+, but without a transformer known to blow

Remember that he's also quad-tracked, with other amps mixed in, through mastering gear... etc...

ME: ESP/LTD DV8-R

Yeah, but it's yet another example of me hearing a tone I really like, and then being told it's a III. I'm probably being ridiculous but the thought of selling the 2C, investing in another high-end amp, and then saving up for a III makes a worrying amount of sense to me.

ME: PRS SEs
    MB: Squier Deluxe Active Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk3 Blu/Torpedo Live

The Mark 3 black and red stripe are supposed to get close to a IIC+. The Blue and Green stripe sound more closer to a Jose-modded Marshall. At least in my experience owning a III for a few months. I imagine the timing of Black Album, it was a Blue or Green stripe.

ME: Charvel So Cal
    Rig: Triple Rec

I watched this, and loved how within the first 30 minutes he pissed on about 20 years of internet conjecture

I'm very much behind his school of thought about using gear to shape the sound, not EQ. He says when he first started engineering he thought it was all about EQing, but after gaining some experience he found that getting the right tone out of the gear in the first place (even if that means bringing in extra mics, cabs, even amps to shape the tone) results in barely having to do anything to it in the mix. Couldn't agree more.
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

ME: ESP MI Custom
    MB: Fender Jazz custom

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    I watched this, and loved how within the first 30 minutes he pissed on about 20 years of internet conjecture

I'm very much behind his school of thought about using gear to shape the sound, not EQ. He says when he first started engineering he thought it was all about EQing, but after gaining some experience he found that getting the right tone out of the gear in the first place (even if that means bringing in extra mics, cabs, even amps to shape the tone) results in barely having to do anything to it in the mix. Couldn't agree more.
    Totally agree, I only HP&LP and maybe a thin notch for something spiky, everything else comes from gear choices.