Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad times for Dokken

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Sad times for Dokken

Apparently Don Dokken had neck surgery that didn't go well:

“Don details the botched neck surgery he had earlier this year that’s left his arm and hands paralyzed, and Don unable to play guitar (or do much of anything really), and the intense physical therapy he’s undergoing in hopes of regaining use of his hands.”
    https://www.metalsucks.net/2020/07/2...t-play-guitar/

It looks like he's recovering slowly, but they played a show in July and well...

This is embarrassing, I worshipped Dokken as a kid. Reb deserves better than this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Fender Telecasters
    MA: Emerald X20 Artisan
    MB: STR LS-648
    Rig: Mk IVa / Fractal AX8

I could only watch 52 seconds of "It's Not Love", I don't know why you go out on stage if that's how much (or how little) you can do. I loved Dokken when they came out, love the tunes and the videos, but lost all respect for him when I saw him punch a girl in the face at a show right in front of me. Still, I don't wish harm on anyone but you don't go on stage if you're maybe 20%.
    "Oh, those jazz guys are just making that stuff up!" - Homer J. Simpson

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

I bet if they did In My Dreams it would sound exactly like Mesh's version now.
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez JEM7V/SZ
    MA: Breedlove
    MB: Warwick
    Rig: Axe-FX III

I’m assuming he’s still playing shows for income. There’s no way the guy can find enjoyment in those performances. It’s really a bummer of an idea, if the dude knows he’s performing at 20% but it’s the only way he can make money while facing all these medical issues.
    Perfection is the enemy of progress.

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    I bet if they did In My Dreams it would sound exactly like Mesh's version now.
    Savagery.

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

I never got the Don Dokken hate he seemed to get even in his prime and even in his studio recordings. I always loved his vibrato, especially in places like "It's Not Love". I don't think there's space to complain when guys like Vince Neal never had a good performance in their life.

That said, yeah, it's sad to see him struggling in these two videos.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: Fender Telecasters
    MA: Emerald X20 Artisan
    MB: STR LS-648
    Rig: Mk IVa / Fractal AX8

I never personally hated Don Dokken, but when you are playing somewhere like the top floor of a booze cruise around Manhattan, with a rope defining the front of the stage, you have to assume people will come up to the rope and maybe even lean on it a bit too much. 3 hours with nothing to do but drink and listen to a band, what are you gonna do? I was about 10 feet from Don when he decided some tipsy blonde girl was leaning over the rope just that bit too far so he cold cocked her right in the face. I think if George hadn't taken off his guitar immediately and quickly gotten himself behind the drums (which was a smallish "backstage" like area for the band and their folks) it might have been a riot. I still love the music, Don not so much.

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Oh, the guy is absolutely a world famous prick, I just meant his singing voice. The hate he gets for his personality is 100% deserved, that's fucking outrageous!